keeping rams in same pasture

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by spinnDrSandy, May 9, 2005.

1. spinnDrSandy

spinnDrSandy Active Member

We were blessed (?) with three beautiful shetland rams this spring. One set of twins. I would like to sell the twins but am concerned about whether I can pasture them with my other ram until and if they are sold. Their dad is not passive but not aggressive either. We have a wither with him and they get along fine. I am concerned with keeping the young rams with him once they have matured. I plan to keep the third ram lamb as a replacement ram so he also would be pastured with his dad. Can any one give me some advice. I don't want to have to pasture each ram seperately...too much fencing! Thanks.

2. BDB

BDB BDB

rams usualy fight around breeding season I had a ram kill another ram when they where fighting I do not know about shetlands and there temperment just try it and if they start fightin nasty seperate em

3. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I have three rams and a wether in a pasture together. They seem to have gotten there pecking order sorted out. None are highly agressive, however. I guess it all depends upon the rams.

4. mathis

mathis Active Member

Just bought a flock myself...so very new at this. But I have two rams. The shepherd I bought them from told me that when I put the rams together, I should put them in a VERY small area for 24 to 36 hours (so small that they cannot back up and butt), and when you let them out they will be fine. She keeps 7 rams of 4 different breeds together. I have spoken to other shepherds, and they have concurred. Just an idea you may want to check out. Mine are with ewes now, so haven't tried it yet!

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I run a wild flock, and the rams will figure it out on their own