Keeping out squirrels

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by albionjessica, Nov 28, 2005.

1. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

One of the threads about bird feeders made me think of this. How do you keep squirrels out of your feeders?

When I lived with my parents, they tried all sorts of things. The most fun was a little rack on the bottom of the bird feeder, that would spin madly around as soon as any weight was put on it. It sure was fun watching the squirrels hang on for dear life as their world spun around them, then scamper away as if drunk because they were so dizzy.

Another method that my brother tried was to sneak up on the invading squirrel, grab it by the tail, and fling it off toward the woods. Don't try that one. He ended up with a handful of bushy squirrel tail, and the poor squirrel couldn't even balance enough to walk on thin branches anymore. Tail just popped right off.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Jess, you must have been a pain in the butt to those squirrels. They don't bother the feeders much if you eat them. I've been told they taste best roasted on a hickory slat. You just eat the slat and throw the squirrel away.

3. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

We just had the squirrel baffles, that seemed to keep them away. Oh, and the dog was a great help, but she also kept the birds away also. Chris

4. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

Squirrel and dumplings can't be beat. 5 times better then chicken. Fried squirrel ain't bad, either.

Otherwise, Hav-A-Hart traps and release far away.

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Squirrel stew is very tasty eating! I made a batch that my DH swears is the best he's ever eaten. No brag, just fact. :)

If you're not into the flavor of squirrel meat (though around here it is pretty tasty -- should be, because those little blighters help themselves to my garden!), there really isn't much you can do besides maybe trap them. Then you release them, then they come back to start the whole thing over again.

There was a special on PBS a few years back, about the Brits and how they take their gardens so seriously. Therefore, they take their squirrel abatement seriously as well. No matter how many intricate and interesting devices they developed to stop those little tree rats, the squirrels invariably overcame each obstacle.

They're awfully smart. Almost makes me feel guilty for eating them.

Almost. ;)

Pony!

6. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I hadn't thought of cooking them up. Do you even get much meat? They seem pretty scrawny around here. What kind of veggies or spices do you use with squirrel meat?

7. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Squirrel is excellent table fare. I had squirrel for supper tonight. Probably eat it 3 or 4 times a month at least during squirrel seasons. Tonight wasn't anything special just squirrel fried in cornflake batter, potatoes, green beans and some banana bread for desert. I think I prefer rabbit to squirrel but I kinda go back and forth on that depending on which one I have ate the most of lately. One of my favorites is to use rabbit or squirrel in place of chicken or turkey in your favorite chicken salad recipe. Just making stew or roasting them with your standard roasting vegetables like potatoes, onions, carrots, etc. is pretty good too. I probably ate as much squirrel and rabbit growing up as I did chicken. Defintely more than something like turkey which was only on holidays.

As for keeping them off of feeders there are numerous baffles and devices you can buy. I bought a really expensive feeder to keep squirrels out but the squirrels soon discovered that by working together they could hold it open to get to the seed. In the end I found it was easier to just humor the squirrels to keep them occupied and out of trouble. Put out ears of corn on a couple of feeders for the squirrels and provide them with some sunflower seeds and peanuts and they will leave your feeders alone for the most part.

8. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

we have baffles on two, which do work, but the best one is the third--called wild bills. it has a 9 volt battery, have to touch the feeder port as well as the standing ring for it to work, but its so funny. dont seem to hurt them bad, but its funny when they just walk up to it--look-and pass it by. we do feed 'em in their own spot

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple of squirrels make a nice stew, though I've made a small stew with one that was fine -- just added extra vegetables.

Same seasonings as for chicken or rabbit.

Now I'm hungry, and it's not even lunch time!

Pony!

10. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

It shore would be interesting to go out and about with the guy that collects QUARTS of that wild animal urine.

11. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Squirrels are great eating but the best rabbit I ever had was prepared by my SIL's Granny from north Carolina. She made biscuits and gravy with fried rabbit for breakfast. Fit for a king. Being a damn yankee though I found grits less than appetizing. But I'll always remember that breakfast. A little side note: Granny was coughing and choking real bad one day and she pulled this glass jar out of her apron and spit into it. I was really concerned and asked brother if she was ok, or was she dying and he busted out laughing for ten minutes. He could hardly contain himself while he told me that she chews tobacco. Boy did I feel foolish, but who would've guessed? true story. She also wears army boots. But boy can she cook. Anywho...Squirrels, Put hot pepper and or garlic in the birdseed. They hate the stuff, and they'll already be seasoned if you want to eat them