Keeping my goat warm....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Muscovyluv2005, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Muscovyluv2005

Muscovyluv2005 Well-Known Member

I have a female Bore(sp?) goat who is about 1 year old,She has a dog igloo with lots of staw but I was wondering,since shes my only goat will she get real cold since she dosnt have any other goat to keep her warm?(I live in Norman Oklahoma and it has been below freezing and snowing)
    Do you recommend keeping more that one goat,or will one be okay if Im with her all the time so shes not lonley?
    If I were to get a second goat,should I get a male or a female?
    Thanks in advance.

2. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

As long as she is dry and out of the wind she will probably be ok. If you can put out a little extra feed for her it will help keep her warm. I would recommend keeping more than one goat because they are herd animals. Your best bet would be another doe, or maybe a wether if you are keeping them as pets.

Nick

3. M&G-Nubians

M&G-Nubians Member

I lived in your neck of the woods and it can get down right ugly cold! Make sure she is not exposed to the wind and stays dry. If the igloo is on top of pavement. Insulate the igloo from the pavement with a layer of something. If you get really worried. You can hang a shop drop light with a 40watt refrig light bulb in with her to just keep the chill off. Make a run to Wally World and get everything you need for about 10 bucks. Good Luck

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

It's Boer goat, and goats are herd animals that get really unhappy if you try to keep them alone. I agree with the person above who said either get another doe (about the same age and size), or a wether, unless you plan to breed. Bucks have a place in life, but they are REALLY stinky when they are in rut, and very stinky the rest of the time. They can also be dangerous, as can any other intact male animal -- the hormones sometimes speak louder than the brain. I need a buck because I live an inconvenient distance from any other Kinder goat breeder, but I wouldn't have one if I didn't have to!

Kathleen

5. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Don't worry about her if she is protected as others have mentioned. Our HIGH for today was -3, with wind chill added in the HIGH was -34 and ours did just fine

6. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

She will probably be ok as for warmth just feed her lots of free choice hay to much on in the evenings as their rumen working then also helps to warm them.
    I personally would get her a companion and either a doe or a wether for company.

7. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Don't forget to offer her hot water to drink...it helps them to stay warm too...
    I use tap water and fill my buckets with the water as hot as it goes...my goats love it.

Belinda

8. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Most of my does sleep off on their own, not huddled up together (the babies do). We are having -9 degree nights and everyone seems to be doing fine in an old unheated barn with lots of straw and leftover hay for bedding. I have two does that sleep outside by themselves even on the coldest nights.

I agree with everone on getting her a friend. Just a note: if she has horns get her a friend with horns . . . I have two without and regret that they have to put up with the ones with horns.

9. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I would not put a heat lamp in with her. You'd be creating a fire hazzard, as there is no way you could guarantee a year old doe would not get up against it, knock it down, or get hay on it.
    Be sure her straw is dry. The warm water will also be much appreciated.
    You can be the best judge of whether she needs additional company. I wouldn't hurry to get another one during this cold, though, unless you have another igloo or shed for it. What if they don't initially like each other? Likely the doe you have will butt the new animal.
    mary

10. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Perhaps add a friend to her pen this spring, but certainly not now, they aren't going to snuggle down and keep each other warm, they will be to busy fighting!

A rumen full of hay (not grain) is what she needs to go to bed with each night, it will take all night to ruminante through all that hay, and ruminating keeps them warm. Face the opening of the igloo away from the prevailing winds and think dry and draft free not warm.

I also started with one goat, she loved us, and the dogs and would even set with the ducks, they will herd with anything they have to. I have also sold shy loner type goats into families where they were happily the only goat.

You could also think about breeding her right now, and she will have a ready made penmate when her kids are born next early summer? Vicki

11. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I do use a heat lamp when it gets below 0- although a heat lamp placed out of reach and wrapped in a metal mesh screen in case it does blow up. I run a small milkhouse heater behind the udders when I'm milking so they don't loose so much body heat so fast they start shivering. Also haul out hot water 2x a day and they'll suck it down.
    I also feed LESS grain when it's really cold. Think of the rumen as a wood stove- grain is the paper that burns hot but fast. Good hay is the seasoned logs that will burn all night and keep that goat warm!