Keeping mini fruit trees mini...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jillianjiggs, Jan 23, 2004.

1. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about buying my mom a couple small fruit trees to go on either side of her patio. They aren't big planters, maybe about 3 by 3 1/2 feet. They've got an open bottom and two 'open' sides. The other two sides are concrete patio. I'm going to go down to home depot in a few minutes to see what's available (looked at walmart, but wasn't impressed, next try is the local nursery). If I buy a couple trees, how to I make sure that they'll stay small? I'd like to keep them patio sized, but still be able to get some fruit off of them once they're more mature. I also want to make sure that they don't grow so big that they break up the concrete patio, brush up against the house, or get taller than the patio's roof. :)

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

I grew dwarf peach and apple trees in half barrels for eight years and they were fine but if you are worried buy genitic dwarf trees these stay realy small.

3. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

I haven't got the space for even the smallest of fruit trees, so can't advise except to suggest buying a tree grafted onto dwarfing stock. But recently one of our local gardening programs on TV had a segment on just this subject. Go to the site below, read all the relevant paragraphs, but particularly par 4. The program is Gardening Australia, but this segment was on its holiday version, Dead Easy Gardening, about 2 weeks ago. You can email the channel from the home page of their site, and request a Fact Sheet, or just keep browsing through the site for information.

http://search.abc.net.au/search/sea...tion=abcall&meta_x=tv&query=dwarf+fruit+trees

4. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Try patio fruit trees. They have them for peaches and apples. Should grow to 6 to 7 feet. They will produce less than a dwarf but will produce sooner. I know where to get them in Dallas area. Lantana Gardens in Bartonville Tx is expecting a small shipment of the peaches. Good luck on your hunt.

Leslie

5. gefozarks

gefozarks Well-Known Member

If your main concern is the breaking up of the patio I would suggest planting your trees in 1/2 of a barrel as noted above.

6. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Leslie, I live in Dallas County too. Doyou get your patio fruit trees all at Lantana Gardens in Bartonville or do you have another location in Dallas proper? I'd love to try some. Judi