Keeping mice out of campers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chicken, Aug 27, 2006.

1. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

Anybody have some suggestions on how to keep mice out of campers other than mothballs? I heard peppermint oil on cotton balls works. We do not like the lingering smell of mothballs. DH spent a lot of time reworking an old mouse eaten camper this summer and doesn't want to repeat that.

2. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

>>>I heard peppermint oil on cotton balls works.

Yeah, well would you please RESEND that part, in MUCH smaller type so I can show it to MY mice? They obviously haven't been able to read large type and don't know yet that peppermint oil will keep them away.

Mon

3. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

Seal up any hole where they can get in. around the power cord. The wheelwells. anywhere you can stick your pinky.make it mouseproof then you do not have to smell the mothballs.

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Keep all the grass and weeds cut so it dosen't touch the camper, use weed killer is best. Also take anything that is even close to the bottom of the camper away from it. Steps, woodbox, anything they can climb on to get up to it. Cut tree limbs,and bushes away from it. Open all drawers, cabinets, closets, ect. Wide open. Leave a cat with a catbox and water, very little food for it in there. Do this only at night so the cat won't get too hot in the daytime sun. Do this for a couple of nights each week. For a few weeks. soon you won't have any mice in there. And if you keep it clean like above they won't get in again. I did this back home and never in 5 years I had the camper did I have mice in it. Only when I first bought it did they live there. I also cleaned and plugged all the holes in the bottom of the camper when I first got it.

6. terri46355

terri46355 Well-Known Member

I always like to feed the vermin. . . rat poison. They usually eat it and go outside to die.

My husband uses Downy fabric softener sheets to keep mice out of things. They hate the smell.

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Best weve done is sticky traps.They see a fellow mouse or 2 dead,they dont stick around to be next,at least thats my theory why it works.

BooBoo