Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else plan on keeping their kids home from School on Sept 11th like we do? I guess there will always be rumors of planned Terrorist attacks on this day for now on... We plan on using that day as a day to stay home and work on preps, canning, cleaning, etc...

·
Registered
264 Posts
This will probably just open up a can of worms, but no..I don't. I don't feel it necessary since we do not keep him home on D-Day or on 9/1 for the 1993 WTC bombing. The entire point of the terrorist attacks was to disrupt/stop life within our country. I feel remembering but continuing to function is more of a slap in the face of their failure to dissolve our country.

I mean no offense to anyone who does choose to. Choice is one of our freedoms, after all. :)

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
While we home educate, my daughter has tutorial classes on Thursday so will go to them. My son will go to his college classes. So no, we will not be keeping them home on the 11th.
Dawn

·
Registered
551 Posts
No, I understand what your trying to say but if we do it out of fear then we are still letting the terrorists win in my opinion. I don't feel 9/11 is any more dangerous than any other day we send our kids to school.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If we still had school-age kids yes I would probably keep them home, and for two big reasons. One, 9/11 is one of a few significant days for terrorists and they like to strike repeatedly on days that have significance for them. They have already said they will. To them it makes a statement. Two, it has already been reported that they are looking at hitting schools, churches and malls and other "soft targets". Christian and Temple schools would be especially attractive targets. It wouldn't be worth it to me to take the chance.

Now if we had something planned that didn't take place in a highly visible public place, like a music lesson or baseball practice, then we would go to those activities

And no, I would not consider being prudent letting the terrorists win.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
No for us. My son is right across the river from Boston & that makes me a little nervous, but he knows how to take care of himself. Where my kids go to school is so rural that I am not worried about a terrorist attack on their schools. I really don't give it much thought from day to day. I trust God to have me & my children where He wants us at any given time & trust that He will take care of my family. If something were to happen, then I also know it is somehow in His plan.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Well, my kids are grown & gone, out on their own, with kids of their own.

But I will Proudly put our great American Flag, in it's regular place on the end of our deck so all the folks going up & down our road can see it.

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
We homeschool, so they aren't in a school building normally. BUT my son does have class in a church that night, my daughter has bell practice in a differnet church that night, I need to do the grocery shopping (while son is in class, which is near the stores), DH has work and defensive Pistol League, etc... 9/11 isn't changing any of our plans. Only day we adjusted due to 9/11 (other then in 2001) was when we moved back to the US. We chose to fly on Sept 10th instead of Sept 11th. That was 5 yrs ago today!!

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Well, my kids are grown & gone, out on their own, with kids of their own.

But I will Proudly put our great American Flag, in it's regular place on the end of our deck so all the folks going up & down our road can see it.
Yes and the more and more that people feel and do something other then the norm, Then Then the Terrorists have done their job and HAVE WON.
Me I am going to do the same thing tomorrow as I am doing to day NOTHING. And Nothing Special at all.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I'm curious to where a person living in TX is worried about a terrorist attack... It's like living here in WV.. you'd think this area was the last line of defense against terrorists the way they get all the FEMA and government grants for training and emergency equipment..

Sure would be a sad site to see if Mr. Jones' herd of 25 cattle got blowed up..

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
It is naive to think that any place is safe from terror attacks. Thinking that it will always be a big attack is very short sighted and certainly not the history or current method used all over the world. Do you have restaurants, schools, hospitals, stores, churches etc in WV? Can cows be approached by strangers or are they all 100% secured from possible bio-terror infection? People need to be aware of the possibilities and that anyone can be a target - but not afraid to live their lives.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well better safe than sorry....plus it gives me a chance to catch up on chores around here and my DD can help.:clap:

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I didn't really want to go anywhere tomorrow but I came across a homeschool archery class that runs through the fall and starts tomorrow so we will be going out. I would probably still send them to school if we didn't homeschool but I'd sit in the parking lot all day. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Terrorist are out for big numbers.. They don't have the time to go injecting single cows that are more than likely only going to make one or two families dead at most..

I'm the same.. I don't think about it.. Even when we were in DC I didn't worry about it much... I'm not one to let others keep me running scared..

Heck, in DC, you had more of a chance getting killed walking down the sidewalk from a bus or stray bullet than you did a terrorist attack..

Here in the country, I worry more about getting bit by a copperhead than I worry about things that are a lot less improbably than getting hit by lightening..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts