Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am failing miserably at keeping my dwarf goats out of the chicken coop. They eat all of the feed. What can I do to keep them out?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
How big of a door do you have? Do your chickens have their own, separate pen? If not and you don't really have the room to make one, can you at least put some cattle panels up around it? That way, the chickens can get thru the cattle panels, but the goats can't.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How big of a door do you have? Do your chickens have their own, separate pen? If not and you don't really have the room to make one, can you at least put some cattle panels up around it? That way, the chickens can get thru the cattle panels, but the goats can't.

Good questions. I have a barn and converted one stall into a coop. I cut a hole in the siding and made a door.

You can see in the pics I tried to add a couple of angled boards across the opening. I've also put these single-layer pallets in front of the door but they'd walk through them.

My latest invention is this a-frame but that just attracts them.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1411167861.694996.jpg ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1411167890.559485.jpg

·
Registered
999 Posts
Can you raise the feed and put a fly only access platform to it? Might be lots of work, but if you can't make your access door smaller, it is something. :)

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Can you make a platform that is too high for your goats to jump on and have the feed up there?

Do you close the coop at night? If so, train your chickens to come in at a certain time of day. Once they're in, close the door, then hang the feeder up. In the morning, when you let them out, take the feeder out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you raise the feed and put a fly only access platform to it? Might be lots of work, but if you can't make your access door smaller, it is something. :)

Great idea - and I can make the me door smaller but these goats get through the tiniest holes, it's crazy. I like the elevated feeder idea.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you make a platform that is too high for your goats to jump on and have the feed up there?

Do you close the coop at night? If so, train your chickens to come in at a certain time of day. Once they're in, close the door, then hang the feeder up. In the morning, when you let them out, take the feeder out.

Raising the feeder is an excellent idea. I'll do that first and then not worry about the goats getting in. I do lock up at night so removing the feeder altogether is another good idea. Thanks!

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,851 Posts
Change your angled pieces of wood so the point is down low instead of up high.
I've read that goats cannot bring their feet to the center to step thru...not sure if its true but you have the perfect scenario to test the theory.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you explain further? I'm not following.

Sent from my iPad using Homesteading Today

Oh I think I get it. Make a 90 just inside the door and only chickens will be able to get through. If that's what you mean - that's genius!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Oh I think I get it. Make a 90 just inside the door and only chickens will be able to get through. If that's what you mean - that's genius!

I don't think that's what he meant. But I think you came up with the solution yourself.Maybe you could make a box inside the door. The chickens have to hop up into the box, then turn 90 degrees to go in and out.

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
I made my chicken door about 3 1/2' up the wall and the outside ladder is open style. The goats don't like to climb that one like they did a solid style. I have full size goats but I also have turkeys so have to have a fair size bird door and the goats had no problem squeezing through where the turkey's wouldn't.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I made my chicken door about 3 1/2' up the wall and the outside ladder is open style. The goats don't like to climb that one like they did a solid style. I have full size goats but I also have turkeys so have to have a fair size bird door and the goats had no problem squeezing through where the turkey's wouldn't.

How big is your chicken door?

·
2,257 Posts
The old one that was down low was 12" x 18". The raised door is 18" x 20". The turkeys like a bit bigger door to land on when they fly up there.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
We finally solved our issue by making a slight step up (not ramp) to the door and a 90 degree turn on the inside of the barn stall. Goats can't get enough of their body inside to go around the turn. Pics attached (I hope). You can see the 'down ramp' on the inside to the right. We found we had to cut down the 'wall' they faced entering so they could see over it and into the coop but it's tall enough that the goats can't 'push through' hope that makes sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We finally solved our issue by making a slight step up (not ramp) to the door and a 90 degree turn on the inside of the barn stall. Goats can't get enough of their body inside to go around the turn. Pics attached (I hope). You can see the 'down ramp' on the inside to the right. We found we had to cut down the 'wall' they faced entering so they could see over it and into the coop but it's tall enough that the goats can't 'push through' hope that makes sense.

Nice. I love seeing pics of other setups. Gives me ideas.

·
2,257 Posts
I guess I never thought about a fly-in door. Do I even need a ramp from the ground?
They'd probably manage but it always seems like half a dozen of them want to go in at the same time and it gives them a place to congregate and do some pushing and shoving while working their way through the door. You could always try it with no ladder and see how they do. It's not that hard to add one if needed. Give them a couple days to figure the way out though. My birds at least, are sort of slow on the uptake.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts