keeping goats and sheep together

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Sherri C, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Sherri C

Sherri C Plays with yarn

I know that goats and sheep have different dietary needs (especially re: copper), but other than that are there any disadvantages to keeping them in the same pasture? What about parasites, would I need to increase the worming schedule or use a different wormer? My pasture is a mixture of trees, shrubs, and grass so I'd like to just turn them loose and let the sheep have the grass and the goats the browse, rather than having to fence the different areas individually.

TIA

2. Cheri

Cheri Member

I would think worming would be the same. I worm our goats on the same schedule as my sons market lambs. However, scrapies is carried by sheep, which is a bad thing. I keep the lambs penned far from the goats for that reason. We raise nubian show goats so I'm very peticular as to what they are introduced to.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Um... goats can have scrapies too. I don't know about other states, but here in Missouri the Scrapies program applies to both sheep and goats.

4. Cheri

Cheri Member

Umm...Yes, I think I implied that when I mentioned that I do not pen them together. The sheep we have are market sheep, not breeding sheep. Thus, my management program for the goats is much more stringent.