1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
HomesteadHopefuls
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this the other day but either it was lost with all the others,
or, its here and I just can't find it,lol

I am planning on a real old fashioned christmas in "09"
everything I give will be hand/home made.
I have made my lists and have made an idea folder,,

I have already started with a few things,
I have a really big list of people & gifts,,

I am looking for ideas,,any body have more ideas you want to share??

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
We make most of our gifts and even make our own wrapping paper and tree ornaments. It's a lot of fun. When we were helping clean out my father's closet, he had saved all of our handmade wrapping paper. That really warmed my heart.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am working on gifts already. I am planning on using clothes that I have from loved ones that have passed on to make teddy bears and other things that would be a special memory of the person who owned them. Dad's jeans will be aprons for the siblings and teddy bears for the neices and nephew. Home made hair scrunchies and socks with beaded trim are fun for little girls if you crochet. I am making tiny tissue package covers for little handouts and one year I made my own cookbook for gifts called "By Request"--it was full of recipes I made that people enjoyed and asked for the recipe. I typed some of my recipes in the computer and made copies and also went to websites and the recipes I got from them I made copies and included too. Everyone loved it and I even used plastic pages to protect the paper and left extras in the binder to add as we found more favorites.

·
HomesteadHopefuls
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh sancraft, that reminds me a little of past christmas' too

I use to save paper,it always got messed up b/4 the next year so I quit that for some years,,this year, i bought one of those plastic containers for paper rolls,i will keep it from now on.
the only times I have made wrapping paper was when I could use the funnies,
kids' birthdays and such.
thanks for sharing.

little kari,do you have pics of your teddy bears? i would love to see them.
I am doing some cook books too if I can find some recipe cards.
you share a name with my daughter..

I emailed all 3 of my kids the other day and asked for their old clothes,15 pieces from each family,and no questions please,,,lol
my oldest son wrote me back asking,mom,have you lost your mind,
I don't have 15 pieces of old clothes,,lol
i wrote back and said,,that if he divided it up,it was only 3 pieces per person in his fam,and if he didn't have that,,one pair of work jeans and an old shirt...
I'm still waiting to hear back from him(LOL)
thank you for your ideas, they are great

keep the ideas coming please...

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
well, I'm trying to get decent at knitting socks on 4 needles that are comfortably wearable, for at least my Mom and Dad. I am making progress in learning how to do this.

Then I'll see about other made things for family and friends.

Angie

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
For friends & family that travel a lot, I made travel sewing kits. I got the supplies from Walmart (scissors, thread, thimble, etc.)

Fold up bread/bun baskets for those that entertain a lot:

Lace wicker baskets:

For the readers, book markers:

For the cooks, aprons and scented hot pads:

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Boy Angie I'd love to learn to knit socks, I can knit anything as long as it's not on 4 or 5 needles! For the life of me I can't hang onto all those needles!
CJ - I've never been able to get my mind around the 4 needle thing, but decided NOW was the time to figure it out. The Fiber Forum folks gave me some websites that showed a good bit, and a pattern for a little sock to get the idea, and feeling of it.

I've done 3 of the practice socks, one of them in smaller yarn and needles so it became out as a bootie.

The grown sized sock is about 3 inches of the leg portion at this time.

CJ - give it a try.

Angie

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Shepherd, beautiful items! Love the apron idea, there are some fantastic apron patterns out there, and no one seems to remember how great aprons are!

Angie... I might try again. I bought several books, and it isn't that I don't understand the directions, I just can't seem to control all those needles!

·
notenoughtime
540 Posts
What beautiful gifts you made! I sure wish there was a sticky that everyone could put pics of things and ideas. Everyone is so talented and I am so envious.

·
HomesteadHopefuls
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think thats a great idea notenoughtime :rock:
I would love to see it as a sticky too.

shepherd, thanks for the pics,,awesome pics,

Kerri, I understand the whole moving,boxes thing,take your time,
I'll keep watching.

thanks everyone for the ideas

happy gifting...:hobbyhors

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Those are some nice gifts you made. I love the book marks. I'm going to make a couple for my daughter for next Christmas. Angie, I saw a book at Barnes and Noble about knitting 2 socks at once using a circular needle. It looked pretty cool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts