keeping buck in same cage as doe?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ddunk1026, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

I heard from someone that you can keep your buck with the doe in the same cage all through her pregnancy and even with the kits. Would this cause any problems? I would imagine i would take him out in between to give her a break.

2. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

You must have heard this from someone who has never raised rabbits. You can keep bucks and does together in colonies but not in cages. Someone is going to end up hurt or worse.

3. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Lots of danger, there! Just because the doe is pregnant, it doesn't mean that she won't continue to breed with the buck. With a double-horned uterus, this means that she can actually get pregnant with *another* litter to be born shortly after the first one! Yes, she can definitely carry two separate litters at the same time. In addition, she will likely rebreed, again, within 24 hours after kindling.

And, of course, you would also be taking a chance on the doe severely injuring the buck if she gets tired of being pestered by him. A doe will usually castrate the buck in such cases.

Another danger lies with the buck.... bucks have been known to kill the babies out of jealousy. The presence of the buck has also prompted does to actually kill their own young when they view the buck as a danger to the litter. This is why most breeders will keep the bucks in a different row or section of the rabbitry away from the does.

Do yourself a favor and keep them in separate cages.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee