Keeping Bees, will it work in a forested area?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by canfossi, Nov 12, 2005.

1. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I would like to keep some bees as a hobby. The area around my house is forested with meadows about 1/2 mile away. The meadows are hard to get to during spring/summer/fall since there is a large river dividing the meadows from my house so it in not an option having the hives there. So my question is if I have bees near my house which is in the woods, are the bees going to be able to find the meadows? Will this work? Hope you can help, thanks. Chris

2. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

3. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

the bees will roam with no problem...

are you a beginner? is so ..bees are complex creatures....you will need lotts of studying or a mentor to keep you from making the common mistakes...but lots of rewards...start with not one but two hives..easier to recover from mistakes that way.

4. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, it wouldn't be for a year or so, just wanted to know if this situation would work before I studied up on them. Chris

5. terry stewart

terry stewart Well-Known Member

they will fly up to 4to 5 miles

6. No problem. I'm not a bee raiser but I have run apon natural bee hives out in the forrest before. Sometimes as deep as a mile away from the nearest pasture. There's plenty of flowers and such in the forrest as well for them to start collecting pollen.

7. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Why don't you post this in the Bee forum?
    You'll probably get some more opinions.

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Chris,
    where in Ontario are you located?
    One thing to consider is black bears if you have any around. They are fond of being attracted to be beehives, especially when they are going full of new brood. Electric fencing around the hives is about the only thing to discourage bears. Do you have any insight as to the blossoming plants in the area?
    Bees are a great thing.

9. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

I'll repeat the bear fencing warning. Without it you have little chance and will end up getting a bear habituated and shot.
    I'm thinking of taking a few hives into the high alpine for the summer bloom, there are both solar and battery charges that will keep predators out simply. Should be some tasty honey in them hills. The bees will find flowers. Do get a book and study before investing cash.

10. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

I also have an electric fence, 2-joiles. My concern is wild hogs. Check this website, as well as www.beesource.com