keep wood covered?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bgak47, May 2, 2005.

1. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Ever heard of a woodshed? That would be the place where the wood was covered.

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

In the last 30 years of burning wood as the main or sole heat source, other than passive solar, I have never had the luxury of covering my firewood. It dries out just fine sitting all summer in stacks in the yard, and we try to keep a face cord in the basement (so it is covered for the last few weeks before it is burned), but have never seen any drawbacks to not covering the firewood piles outside. I have, however, seen tarps and pieces of old steel roofing that were used to cover woodpiles blown around the yard causing damage and making a mess to clean up. I think that ideally an open sided structure like a carport would be great for storing firewood, but I no longer worry about mine being uncovered after it is cut, split and stacked.

Jim

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in MN I do not keep it covered. It dries out fine in the open, & dries better out in the open than if it were totally enclosed....

However, in the fall or late fall I pitch a 2 month supply in the basement wood room. We typically have a dry period in late fall that lets me store dry wood like this. In winter you can brush the snow off & get basically dry wood off the pile. If you have a rainy season or wetter winters, or no dry storage at all, then I would sure want a roof over the wood. I would prefer open sides tho to let the dry breezes go through the wood, let it breathe.

--->Paul

4. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Our sole source of heat is wood and I keep enough stocked up so that I have a 3 yr supply and am able to rotate to the oldest piles every year. The only time I cover these stacks is when it snows. That way I don't have a foot of ice or snow melting down into the stack.

5. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

yup, what everybody said. I have not covered mine for the last 15 years. I keep a few weeks worth on the porch so it dries a bit and i keep a stack next to the stove to get it even drier. The results vary with how wet the wood is by the time i get it to the fire. The drier the better. I finally built a shed 2 years ago so i no longer have to go through any rituals of stacking and drying. I just run outside with a leather burrito looking thing with handles and bring in a day's supply.
    I also no longer stack any of my wood. ever. it seems unnecessary. there's a big pile in the shed and that's that. I came to the conclusion that it's aesthetically more pleasing to see it stacked, but when it's in the shed, well, it looks OK in a big pile, too.
    ray

6. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

This form is the greatest.

The guy in Washington State says covering is a must.
    Of course it would be it rains what 300 days a year.

The guy in NE Texas says he only covers it on top.
    Kinda windy and dry with frequent down pours sounds about right.

The guy in wisconsin says it just makes no differance.
    Never really warms up enough to really dry the wood.

The guy in North Carolina only needs one satchel of wood a day.
    Not really that much to deal with.

And Me in the North East mountains of PA. the wood must be covered.
    We get lots of rain or snow in just about every month 40"+ of rain a year. Ten plus cord required.

I think it really depends on where you live. How much heat is really needed. How much work you are willing to do.

Like it's been said Dryier is better.