Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here taken or taking Kava Kava for pain and muscle spasms? Do you find it an effective analgesic?

Any bad side effect?

I have ordered some to see if I can avoid resorting to taking narcotic for pain.
Hoping it will ease me down before I reach the higher level states.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I have not used it, but here is some information for you:

Medicinal Uses: Used to relieve insomnia, anxiety and stress, as a diuretic in the treatment of rheumatism, arthritis and gout, as a remedy for chronic pain and for gastro-intestinal, kidney and bladder complaints. It is used as an intoxicating beverage which induces lethargy, drowsiness and dreams. (Stimulates, then depresses, the nervous system.)

Warning: Do not use when pregnant or breast-feeding or if suffering from depression. Do not use for longer than 3 months or in large doses without medical advice. Extended continuous intake can cause a temporary yellow discoloration of skin, hair and nails. Should never be taken with alcohol, barbiturates, anti depressants, antipsychotics, sedatives, sleeping pills, anaesthetics used during general anaesthesia. Can add to the effects of substances that depress the central nervous system, causing over sedation, even coma. It can also cause tremors, muscle spasms or abnormal movements that may decrease the effectiveness of anti-Parkinson's medications. These movement problems can also add to those caused by anti-psychotic medications. Increases the effects of CNS depressants and may lead to suicide. Possible side effects of Kava include gastrointestinal problems, liver problems, allergic skin reaction. Do not administer to persons under the age of 18.

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
I've taken it for sleep and also given it to my kids for the same reason. I didnt know it was good for pain.

I will tell you it is a very nasty tasting herb. I've used it from an extract and OMG :help: I doubt there is anything you can put it in to make it taste any better. Just grin and swallow it down, blech!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Culpepper and Marchwind.

I have taken Kava Kava that was in a tonic along with a multitude of other herbs for joint pain relief. It helped me in 2004. Gladstar's book mentioned it had analgesic properties...sedation and antispasmotic. I researched several sources for more info on it today, but wanted to know personal experiences with it.

I have ordered a dried form in a capsule from Wilderness Family Herbals. 375 mg. When I used the tonic I put it in tea. Not sure what amount of Kava was in that.
I understand the dried form is less potent. Guess I will just have to test it. I can't take NSAIDS because of adverse effects. Tylenol does nothing.
The sedative effect probably will help me cope...dull this brain. I'm hoping it will also help calm some of the muscle activity. Damaged hip, ligs and tendons. Lumbopelvic dyfunction primarily to dysfunctioning muscle activity, etc from car accident 6 years ago.

I did have some breakthroughs today! TFL, abductors and iliopsoas! That's eased up some of the volcanic pressure I am under muscle tug of wars. I just hope it lasts.
Should get the kava by Monday at the latest. I'll share what if any analgesic effect I feel.

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
Kava is a pretty potent 'depressant', as in , it'll mellow you out. I tried it a few times, but would be cautious about using it long term, as it is known to be hard on the kidneys.

L

·
0 Posts
I took it ONCE. I'll never touch it again. I only took a half dose. It knocked me out for about 12 hours. Then I felt drugged for a couple days afterwards. I could barely move.

It's a powerful drug, so be extremely cautious.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are y'all talking about the capsules? Or root infused, tonic elixir?
The herbal tonic I took had kava in it, but it never made me sleepy. Guess, I better take my first dose at bedtime and get a good nights rest. smile

Awaiting appt. to be scheduled with Neuro r/o nerve conduction problem (and emg) with some of my most grief producing muscles. I think they missed the culprits in 2002.
I doubt kava would let me sleep through a spasm. It torques me pretty badly and it becomes a whole body affair with lots of muscles triggering.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
I tried it just once. It was truely the most disgusting thing I've ever swallowed. It numbed my mouth too. I took it right back to the shop and asked if it were ruined, they laughed at me of course, but did refund my money.
Perhaps, I didn't take enough for it to be effective, as I didn't get any pain relief from the one dose.

Halo

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had 2 doses. The strength listed was 550mg. Both times I slept like a lamb. Last night I was having alot of muscle activity and pain. Burning and aching. Decided to try the Kava Kava. I slept 5 hours straight and then another 3.
Didn't end up with the yucky narc effects on awakening. Nausea, headache, feeling out of it. The pain level was mild/moderate when I took the Kava. I haven't tried it during day hours cause I don't want to risk sleeping the day away.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have had muscle pain which responds wonderfully to Valerian. It doesn't have the same problems that Kava Kava can have, but you should still look up side effects and what medical conditions would prevent you from using it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Debra. Will check into that.
Pt will be starting me on home e-stim. I have a truckload of muscle imbalances. My right foot still has some problems. Injured a bony segment there. I'm making baby step progress with isometric exercises. Basically PT says I'm back to step one in re-training muscles to activate normally. Good news preliminary report on testing showed no permanent damage. Yahoo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts