Kathadin/Dorper question

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by zameluzza, Apr 3, 2006.

1. zameluzza

zameluzza :)

I have a strange question,

I was thinking on getting a Dorper to cross with my Kathadin ewes.
    Since both are hair sheep, I thought that they will give me hair lambs.

today I was at the feed store buying lamb replacer again *LOL* anyways met a friend there and he just got a lamb from a kathadin ewe bred with a 7/8 kathadin/dorper. he said the lamb has wool???

I was pretty sure that the oucome would be hair!
    so could it be that xing these breeds just goes back? like dorper is dorset horn/blackhead persian.??

I'm totaly confused now.

anyone knows more about this?
    thanks

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

both of these breeds were developed by crossing a haird sheep onto wool sheep and then selecting for the hair genes,
    by crossing these two you would be UN doing all that selective work and alowing the recessive Wool genes to pop up and display them self, (both parrents carying the gene for recessive wool? would show up in the resultant cross.)
    you could try crossing in some african hair sheep blood, like the Pelibüey, or the Barbados Blackbelly, you could try the Barbado sheep but they are also crossed with some Rambulet, so many hair breeds have been crossed with wool breeds, i seam to remimber a heritage breed from the Euripean (britan i think) coast line thatwas a wild type hair sheep,
    also there is the European Mouflon

3. zameluzza

KSALguy,
    thanks for the reply, I don't think that I will be getting any sheep that you mentioned, I'm a beginner with sheep and I'm sure that most of these breeds would not be awailable to me, plus my husband would for sure have a fit *LOL*

I wanted so badly to have some Dorpers, so the best thing for me would be to get 2 or 3 Dorper ewes and one dorper ram and go from there,
    and keeping my 3 kathadin separate, I just got a small kathadin ram so I won't have the trouble with shearing, plus wool sheep are not what I want.
    all my lambs from this year are x's with horned dorset and the lams have a funny hair/wool coat they are cute, well they have to be these are my first babies :)

thanks for explaining all this to me, now I will have to figure out and nagg my DH to get what I want.
    carmen

4. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

Although it can happen getting wool sheep from that cross. I know people who have crossed Katahdin to Dorper without getting wool. Sometimes you might get wooly lambs even in the purebreds. I have 3 ewes who are 3/4 katahdin and 1/4 dorper. one has no wool two keep a little wool on their back like a saddle pad that I shear in the spring. The other thing is that Dorper tends to carry a little more chance of being wooly than katahdin. You could try the cross and just save the best hair coated lambs.

5. zameluzza

wendle thanks for the reply,
    that does not sound to bad, I have to think everything over and hopefully I will get some Dorper's in the future.

Carmen

6. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

I would be interested in finding out how your experiment goes because I'm not only getting a Katahdin ram for my Katahdin ewes I will also get a Dorper AND a St croix ram! Some of my ewes are slightly "wooly", so it'll be interesting to see what happens next spring! Keep in touch!

7. kit

kit Well-Known Member

Don't count those cross ewes out until you have let them get old enough to shed out at least once. I only have pure Katahdins, but sometimes they can have a woolier coat than others, but they still completely shed it out. Also, sometimes the ewes will hold onto their coat longer when the lambs are still on them. I find that some of my ewes don't shed great until we wean and then within 2 weeks they are completely clean. Just a couple of thoughts...