Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are moving to a couple of acres in the woods with a small area of grass. We would like to get two animals in the spring to browse on our brambles and greenery and then butcher them in the fall. Goats would seem ideal for this, but I do not want to deal with them escaping. There are lots of ways they could jump the fence around here. Would our land support Katahdin sheep instead?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just my view of it were my place. 4 thoughts and a conclusion:
If I want an overgrown area cleared so that all greenery starts at head height I use goats.
Neither goats or sheep with just 2 will provide a ton of meat.
The thing about iffy fencing is that neighborhood dogs can get in.
If you get a dog to protect the goats or sheep, you'll need electric along the bottom of the fence.

Personally then I'd get 2 steers to raise up instead and / or look at doing some fence work.

Ah, also goats will eat first everything you don't want them to ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha good thoughts. The primary reason for getting animals is for clearing overgrown summer brambles. Meat is an extra. So goats with an awesome fence would be better than Katahdins? I hear they do well with brambles...

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm not sure if 2 acres will satisfy the animals for the whole summer. I also think goats that need invincible fencing is a bit of a myth. My in-laws use portable electric netting and have great luck. When we brought their goats to our property for the summer, we also had no issues with them and this sort of fencing. The Boer breeder nearest to use also uses it with good results.

I would maybe think pigs who would help clear out your property and yield more meat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts