Katahdin lump on skull

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by MichaelK, Aug 23, 2004.

1. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

We have one mature ewe that has a bump on top of her head right between where the horns would be. It is about 1/4 the size of a tennis ball, is perfectly dome shaped and feels as if it is a fleshy callous growth under the skin.
    It is directly over the skull and you can grab it and squeeze it a little bit but it doesn't seem to bother her.
    Some of the other ewes have a smaller roundness in the same area but none as prominent.
    Just wondering if anyone has seen this in their flock. The vet says it is nothing he has ever seen and might just be a characteristic of Katahdins but isn't sure.
    Anyone have any ideas? :confused:
    Thanks

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Scarring from bumping a feeder, fence rail, or a hatch door??? You could lance it and see what comes out if anything.

3. kit

kit Well-Known Member

We have a couple hundred head of Katahdin ewes and they don't have anything like that on their heads. Try inserting a syringe and withdraw a sample. If I could figure out how to put a picture on here I would give you some pictures. I tried that link that was mentioned on another post but...... Or if you would like, email me and I'll email some pictures back.