Katahdin Info

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by QueenB04, Feb 9, 2005.

1. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, but have been reading threads for quite some time now. I have a question. I have recently aquired a Katahdin ewe, possibly in lamb. She will be coming over on Friday. I have done my research on them and am very interested in pursuing further interests in the breed, possibly start a small herd. There is a local gentleman whom the owner I am getting her from bought her from, that has a herd. However I'd like to possibly bring in other lines from outside of his herd. Does anyone know of any flocks in the central/south western Virginia area? Also any input from people who raise them please put in your 2 cents worth. I'm very well versed in many diff. kinds of breeds of livestock, but anyone who has experience with these kinds of sheep is welcome to assist! This is brand new to me with this breed. Thanks look forward to posting, and talking with everyone.

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I have a kahtadin ewe. She's an easy keeper and has an easy time lambing. Mostly twins, although one year she tripled.

I could be wrong about this, but the hair factor seems to be a recessive trait. Crossed on a wooly (Shetland) ram, she has produced mostly wooly babies, and one weird hybrid that sort of has a combination of wool and hair, and sheds most of his wool in the spring. :confused:

3. QueenB04

You said it's a wool/hair mix? I bet that's interesting. I had a Suffolk ewe some years back as a 4-H project, so I'm familiar with wool breeds but the hair is all new to me. And yes I've heard they are very easy keepers and great mothers as well.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Kats were the March breed of the month in 04 you might want to check out the replies there. or HERE The only thing I'll add to chosing a breed to start with is be sure you can do everythign you want with the type. Katahdins sell well in Toronto but not Ottawa, or at least my buyers turn their noses up at them.

5. Lana

Lana Active Member

We raise both Border Cheviots and Katahdin.My kats most all have twins unless they are breed as yearlings then they some times single.The lambs are born smaller that my cheviots but do gain weight well.The ewes are hard to keep in condition when they have lambs at their side..this is something i dont like when compared to my Cheviots.They are VERY easy lambers and i have not ever had to pull one..unlike my cheviots.

The kat lambs sell well at market and the meat is VERY good if you sell freezer lambs.The ewes dont sell well at market but people who train dogs love them.I breed my cheviots to a Dorper this year as my new Cheviot ram was not quite old enough to use.I love these lambs.Lana

6. Lana

Lana Active Member

ps if you want to keep wethers i find the kat boys are VERY easy keepers.Lana

7. kit

kit Well-Known Member

I have 80 head of ewes ready to start lambing any minute now. The rest will start in April.... We love raising them and would highly recommend them, but most sheep breeders like their breed..... However, depending on your purpose for raising sheep you may want to consider running pure ewes and a terminal sire as it will increase the rate of gain somewhat. However, I have read studies that say Kats grow a bit slower, but the amount of feed required to get them there is less.

Now as for them being in poor condition after raising lambs - do you have good quality ewes? My girls do get slimmer, but those are generally the good milkers that can raise a set of triplets all by themselves and have them at weaning rate at the same time as one of my fat girls that only raised a set of twins but sure looked after herself well.....

8. QueenB04

Well I just got the ewe I mentioned today, Taffy is her name. Really enjoyable so far, she was too big for the crate we brought so she rode in the back on my Durango!! :eek: She was so nice and quiet and enjoyed the ride, my husband and I just laughed. So she is back re-uinted with her donkey buddies and my horse(arrived yesterday) She is pregnant, hard to tell if it's twins. I've had little experience working on sheep but definitely got a kicker! I'll do a more thorough check after she's settled in, but pre-lim stethoscope check sounded very good. I'm happy with her, looking forward to learning as we go. I had a Suffolk many years ago as a 4-H project, but I'm very allergic to wool sheep(lanolin), goats(scent glands) and deer, VERY allergic to deer. So the hair is great! Thanks for the info I'll post with more questions as I go. Oh, I do have one, I've read alot about Katahdin and Dorper croses. Just want to hear opinions on the cross. Thanks for talking with me, look forward to further doing so! :)

9. Lana

Lana Active Member

QueenB,i am going to breed my kats to my Dorper next year but many of my friends have this cross and love it.i dont like the full Dorper for training the dogs but i sure love my Cheviot Dorper cross lambs.Seems like the Dorper really puts the bulk in the lambs.

Kit, i guess the "good quality" of my kat ewes would be in the eye of the beholder but IMHO it is tough to beat the year round condition of my built like a brick s... house cheviots.Lana