K9 Advantix

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by moonwolf, Apr 24, 2006.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I've been using Frontline for Tick control and it works great.
    Now, I am thinking to use K9 Advantix, or a similar product to control Mosquitoes from biting on the dogs.
    Anybody using K9 Advantix for such purpose? Are you satisfied with the results?

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Just a clarification question: Are you going to be using both the Frontline and the Advantix at the same time?

I haven't personally used advantix, so I can't comment on it's actual effectiveness against mosquitos, but it is supposed to do ticks too so you wouldn't need the Frontline.

3. moonwolf

NO

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I started using K9 Advantix last year on recommendation from a forum member. the Frontline wasn't controlling the ticks (we have millions of them, even with free range guineas). I'm not too happy with it, but it works a little better than Frontline. cas in point: just pulled a live tick off Jazz- it was right beneath her eyelid. It was there last Monday- my day to reapply the K9 Advantix. I thought it would die and then I'd take it off. I forgot about it then today when I pulled it off it was still alive :shrug: This is a common occurence and I had the same problem with Frontline and Bio Spot. Never have any flea problems but the ticks are surreal. I'm about to purchase the Preventic collars again this year. I thought the mosquito benefits were an added bonus to K9 Advantix which would have been great in Florida. Here there are barely any mosquitoes and the ones we do get the bats feast on at night. Never see any around my dogs but don't know if that is due to the K9 Advantix.

5. moonwolf

But does it work against mosquitos?

6. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Something I hear of people using on their dogs for mosquitos is Super Shield Absorbine green bottle...find it in horse supplies...works good for humans, too. Think it works for ticks...Don't know about the Advantix.

BTW...tick needs to be removed BEFORE it's been on animal 24 hours, to prevent tick illnesses.

Mon

7. moonwolf

I was looking for something to deter mosquitos that is not a topical to apply often. The idea of Advantix or Frontline that is applied once a month is the most appealing idea for keeping biting mosquitoes away. I haven't heard anything from common 'real live' useage to date about the true effectiveness of Advantix for mosquitoes. :shrug:

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

moonwolf, I can't be certain if it repels mosquitos or not- we don't have many but the ones we have don't go on my dogs. It could be the K9 Advantix, I can't tell you for sure. Another product that works against mosquitos is Bio Spot. I used Bio Spot in Texas where we had MANY HUGE mosquitos. My dogs weren't on heart worm prevention so that protection was important. They didn't get heartworms then or in Florida when we moved back. BioSpot stopped working for fleas though so I started using Frontline. As for K9 Advantix, the literature says it works but would be good to hear from someone with real live experience. Sorry I can't be of more help.

9. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

You didn't use Ivomec or any heartworm meds on your dogs in Texas. Wow, that's being breave. I give my dogs 1/10th of a cc per 10 lbs of the gerenic Ivomec and no heaerworms...$30 dollars worth of a bottle that has lasted me 1 and half years from 5 to 2 dogs.....cheap.

10. Lawbag

Lawbag Well-Known Member

We've used it in the past during the summer months. It worked seemed to work really well at repealing the mosquitoes as well as the fleas. We sometimes have a hugh mosquito problem and there never seemed to be any close to the dogs when using it. I wasn't too impressed with its ability to kill or repel ticks.

The only reason we stopped using it is because we got a cat and it can't be used on or around cats. HTH.

11. moonwolf

thanks for that info, Lawbag.

The issue I'm trying to get around is that I have great success using Frontline Advantage against ticks. They are a major deal around here from May until at least September. 3 applications seem to do the trick against ticks for my dogs here. I don't have flea problems to make any issue about which product works best or not. As for mosquitoes, there are many and some WNV has been implicated in the last few years. For me it's more important to deter deer ticks (that are so small and nasty) than worry so much about repelling mosquitos. I'd like to do both, and just am not sure that switching to Advantix will do that, and as Golden Mom suggests, I don't want to use Frontline AND Advantix together.

It's becomes a flip of the coin between the devil and the deep blue sea! :shrug: