K-Mart's watching you...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by tinetine'sgoat, Nov 22, 2006.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

I had to exchange something at K-mart and had forgotten my receipt. The lady at the counter asked me how I had originally paid for the item. I told her with a check, she said that was no problem just go get the exchange. I did and when I got back up there she said can I see one of your checks? I gave her one, and she ran it through her check reader, scanned the item I had returned and out popped the exchange reciept. I asked her what it had done and she told me that any time you pay with a check or credit card they keep track of your purchases. :help: They know what you've bought, when, how much etc... No need to keep your reciept they know all about you. I don't know about you, but I'm not real fond of having all my purchases monitored that way. I had NO idea that they did things like that. :shrug:

2. PcH8er

PcH8er Well-Known Member

Most big stores do this now. That is why I always pay in cash. They actually take all the information they get on people and sell it to marketing companies so they know what junk mail to send you. I just stop by the ATM before I go and shop. They can't track you if you pay cash.

3. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

do you have one of the little discount cards for your grocery store

what do you think that is ,they keep track of what you buy and when you buy it and all of this data is used for marketing and deturmining consumer trends

I had a freind who bought his own insurance as he was self employed
    he figured it wasn't long till the insurance companies started soliciting that info to deturmine lifestyle and decide if they should adjust the rates say if you had 5 poounds of bacon in your groceries every week.

4. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

They can't until they come up with club cards and reward cards.

5. PcH8er

PcH8er Well-Known Member

Very true. In VA Food Lion has an MVP card they use. All kinds of stores have them, little discount cards. Pet Smart has one, Walgreens, a bunch of others. They try to track everything you do now a days.

6. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Well, if given the choice between being denied the privilege of returning an item because I'd lost the receipt, OR being allowed to return it because the company had a record of the purchase, I'd pick the latter every day!

It's not like companies are collecting information on their customers for nefarious purposes ... nope, they just wanna sell you more stuff! :D

If they track my spending habits and sending me literature or coupons for products I might be interested in ... hey, it's all good, IMO! :D

7. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

I don't feel out the forms they give you when you get store cards. I just take the card and pocket and throw out the address form. If they require it. I make up a name and address. I don't have a checking account and I don't have credit cards. If I need to purchase something online, I buy a gift card from the bank. Yes the bank can track what you spend with it, but the store can't, as far as I know.

8. PcH8er

PcH8er Well-Known Member

I like how they always ask for my phone number too. I alway give them the same one. It's not mine. I kind of feel sorry for whoever is recieving all my phone calls though. :p

9. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Not too long ago, I bought several sheets of decorative paper from a scrapbooking store. The total came to three dollars and change and I was paying cash.

The woman ringing me up told me I had to give them my name and address or else the computer wouldn't let her finish the transaction.

She couldn't believe it when I refused and had no idea what to do. It appeared that I was the first person *ever* who didn't want to give out their name and address. :help:

/VM

10. PcH8er

PcH8er Well-Known Member

Most people will give their info without eventhinking about it. That is why I give the same info everytime. I don't have to think about it, and it is easier and faster than waiting for the person to figure out what to do when you won't give the information. People have no security conscience these days. No wonder everyone is so willing to give up their freedoms. It easier than saying NO.

11. via media

via media Tub-thumper

That's a great idea, PcH8er!

/Sally Smith, formerly known as VM :cool:

12. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is easier, but I won't lie either. Therefore, I tell them no. If more folks just stood up and said "Heck no. Can I have YOURS?" maybe it would get the point across.

The stores will tell you it's to get a feel for the demographics of selling. Pshaw! Their own receipts will tell them what sells and what doesn't. They don't need to know WHO. They need to know WHAT.

13. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

None of this bothers me as much as Albertson's/Jewel's "fingerprint" payment system, or (even worse) RFID chips in merchandise.

When I buy something at a store, it is mine with which to deal as I see fit. I consider it an intrusion of the highest degree to have it "chipped" so that Big Brother or whoever can follow it around with me wherever I go.

http://www.spychips.com/

Pony!

14. PcH8er

PcH8er Well-Known Member

I would not buy anything that has one of those tags. I refuse. I also would never use my finger print to buy anything. I would like to keep as much of my privacy as I have left. Those tags just make me so mad. :flame:
    I cannot believe people would be okay with them.

15. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

At the mall near here(The Great Mall of the Great Plains in Olathe Kansas) , you can't pay with a check unless you give them a THUMB PRINT!! I about died. They even have little alcohol swabs so you can wash the ink off . I was appalled, and haven't been back since. Made me feel like a criminal. :flame:

16. tiffnzacsmom

tiffnzacsmom just me Supporter

I've told bath and body works no when asking for my name and number while paying cash too, woman looked at me like I was evil incarnate, had $50 worth of Christmas presents offered to leave without it if my decision was a problem.

17. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

My last name is "cash". If they don't believe me, I make up a first name.
    My phone number is the local police dept. I have it memorized.

18. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

oooooo I am so doing that.
    I have it memorized too.......don't ask......

BTW, Wally world has been doing that for a long time.....why do they know where to put stores? They track people and their adress, if enough people come from one place without a WM, they will put one there. This all came out when our county was fighting one this summer.
    But I don't mind a grocery store tracking what I buy, I hope they get the message not to keep selling the crap like Hostess stuff.

19. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

then dont buy anything from my ebay store... I save all your info....

some I sell to the governemnt if I think you bought a skilet or an alarm clock for terroristic reasons.

lol

yeah, thatll happen... I erase you as soon as you get your stuff...

20. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

The biggest issue with the stores is they sell the info to anyone willing to pay the price. We also have seen many times that the information gathered is not secure.