Juvenile Diabetes

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by jasperoo, Dec 12, 2006.

1. jasperoo

jasperoo Member

I have a pup, that we purchased for Go To Ground competitions, that started having seizures two weeks after we got her. They have continued, and bloodwork shows that she has Diabetes. She is 10 weeks old. Has anyone else had a dog or a pup with Diabetes, and if you did, besides the daily insulin injections and a special diet (w/d), how hard was it to deal with? I am already in love with this pup, and there is no way that she is leaving here, but I was also wondering if the breeder would let us have another pup to replace her with, as far as competitions go. How many of you breeders out there would replace a pup that has Diabetes and let the people keep the sick pup?

Looking forward to ya'lls opinions.

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Wow that's rough! With a diabetic puppy the first year will be kind of tough. As she grows her insulin requirement is going to change. Going into heat will also complicate her insulin requirements so I would recommend spaying her before her first heat.

It's hard to say whether this diabetes has a heritable component or is just something that happened when her little pancreas was being formed. Either way the breeder sold a defective pup but I don't know what your breeder will do. Did she come with a guarantee? Some breeders want the pup back if they are replacing a dog (they don't want a bad speciman of their kennel out there being seen). I would guess if the pup was returned most breeders would euthanize her. Maybe they would be OK with just not letting you have her papers so she wouldn't be out there in the competition circles spreading bad press about their kennel?

3. jasperoo

jasperoo Member

GoldenMom,

Thanks for the info. We have discussed all of this with our vet, and he said the same. Right now we are going to monitor her for the next week, as far as food intake etc. goes, and recheck her one more time to make sure this isn't some fluke. I also have her brother (we got two pups to train for trials), and he is perfectly fine. All of the other pups in the litter are fine as well. I think that maybe it's just something that happened to her when she was in utero.

I did talk to the breeder, and I am going to get to keep her, and he is going to replace her with another pup as soon as one becomes available. I am going to give him her papers back as well. She is doing fine right now, and is going absolutely everywhere with us, b/c I am scared for her to be out of my sight.

Again, thanks for the info.