Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had any dealings with FEMA?
What are your feelings on the way FEMA'S laws work when a home is destroyed, and they have insurance. Another home distroyed, and they don't have insurance. Lets say both have homes are valued at seventy-five thousand each.The home with insurance is only insured for fifty-thousand. FEMA will write a check to the uninsured for seventy-five thousand and for the insured twenty-five thousand. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

·
Missing Home
612 Posts
I've been through two disasters here in Louisiana in the past 6 years (TS Allison and Katrina) and FEMA agreed to help both times but never followed through with anything. First time my insurance didn't cover it because it was Flood damage and Katrina was an "act of God" so that wasn't covered either lol. Hard to get help from Fema and the Insurance company if you need it I guess! :shrug:

·
Premium Member
23,957 Posts
We got a FEMA grant and loan after some flooding hit our area. Grant was for the amount of our deductible and loan (at 3%) was for the rest of their estimated amount of damage. The problem is that you have to jump through a lot of hoops and cross all the t's and dot all the i's. But then, that was over 10 years ago. From what I understand things have changed drastically.

I really believe they gave those damaged by Katrina the green wiennie.

Ladybug, I thought all insurance covered "acts of God". My policy says it covers them.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Don't get me started on FEMA. I haven't had to deal with them on anything as serious as a house but after the recent floods...... I am appalled at how wasteful and corrupt it all is......
Tana Mc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts