Just would like your opinions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RockyRooster, May 27, 2006.

1. RockyRooster

RockyRooster Well-Known Member

2. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

I think you all have different opinions...what's wrong with that?
    Just because you're married doesn't mean you'll have the same political views.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

It never hurts to stock up....job loss or injury a flood.. could be a small scenario where not having to buy much is GOOD. Remember to rotate.
    The US dollar vs say Canada is the lowest I've ever seen it...meaning America is devalued in its "world" status.
    The number of people who think their supper comes from a restaraunt or grocery store is very high....
    Their are "big" health risks out there...and there always has been...the difference is we are more "global" now....

I say put the hand tools on the wall for decoration and take them down when its time to use them :shrug: Its fun learning "old" ways....which may become VERY useful.

Get some pretty canisters(fill them)...I have 2 sets of the farm scenery type and a pressure canner, a woodstove.....its all good today and if SHTF....

Get some good reference books....Encyclopedia of Country Living....Backwoods home Anthology...

If there is survival to be had we are prepared....if not so be it.... :shrug:

4. FUNKY PIONEER

FUNKY PIONEER No I don't smell Funky

I have learned one thing very important in life, and that is you can never make people believe what you want them to. Many poel only believe what they see, and usually it too late by then. But I do know that before things got bad in Germany during the haulocaust there were many people who's warnings fell upon eaf ears. :help:

5. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Heck, no, you're not alone! Lots of people think you should be stocking up. So do I. I'm not worried but I do think it's just common sense to try to be as self-sufficient as possible these days.

6. 3dogmom

3dogmom Well-Known Member

ROOSTER, I'm a committed christian and I agree with you whole heartedly. I understand what your husband is saying but he isn't seeing the whole picture in my opinion....although his heart is in the right place.

Proverbs 27:12 "The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it."

Interpretation: The wise prepare.

Be encouraged sister! :)

7. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I am not into preparing, I just like to live simply. And I hate depending on others for anything. I don't trust them. But I am with you except for that. And my dh thinks I am nuts too.

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Is he the only one??? :shrug: :)

9. 3dogmom

3dogmom Well-Known Member

Blessings to you ROOSTER :angel:

10. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

My husband and I are close to your age. My husband doesn't understand why I am stocking up either. I guess because most of the years of our lives things have gone so smoothly in this country that it is almost surreal when you think of all of the issues we face today. I focus on telling my husband that we need to prepare for job loss, which in our current situation is our main concern. I am also a Christian, and I, like you feel a pressing need to prepare, but for what I am not certain! They say to follow your instincts. Let you husband know that it will help you sleep better at night if you feel more self-sufficient. This forum has a wealth of information and everyone is very helpful. :)

11. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

NOPE. :dance: TG. I hate being in the majority.

You know I expected more from you ZYG. Are you jumping on the "sullen sucks" bandwagon?

12. KindredSpirit

Not sure if this will be of much help to you on how to prepare. Someone posted this article on HT a while back and it is an interesting read. It is what happened in Argentina when their currency collapsed. It is written by a young man and his take on the events as they unfolded. It is interesting in that he tells what he would do in the event our country would face a currency collapse. With the huge deficit anything is possible. Anyway, a good read. :)

http://www.clairewolfe.com/wolfesblog/arg.html

13. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Sounds an awful lot like my house.

I am with you totally on all points. My dh on the other hand, tends to believe things as they are presented. Out of respect for my husband I do not challenge him or argue the point. I listen to what he has to say. It doesn't change what I believe to be true. My mom on the other hand believes like "us" and whenever I go over there we yak about politics, etc., and dh goes outside and mows the lawn LOL.

As long as you both respect each others opinions and don't try to argue them out of it, people can have different points of view.

But I'd secretly stock up a bit if I were you *just in case* TSHTF.

donsgal

14. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

WTH?

15. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

IMO

16. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

"I hate depending on others for anything"

That in its self is a great reason to have a couple extra cans of soup on the shelf.
    Also when Ma Nature kicks up her heels---Thats also when that extra can of beans helps keep the belly full.
    As to all those "countrys" you mentioned ...... well get your tush comfortable because that discussion can/will go on for quite some time.......

17. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

Sullen has a fan club? That is so not fair. I want a fan club too.

Rooster, we're in the same boat. I've read the writing on the wall - and if it doesn't spell imminent doom, then it certainly spells shaky ground - and I've taken steps to prepare the family accordingly, as is my duty. DH is a laidback fellow, however. The house would have to be burning around his proverbial ears, singing his hair even, before he would take notice. I'm lucky that he is willing to allow me to do whatever keeps me happy, with only occasional strange looks and clever cracks about "stocking up for winter" and "my wife, the squirrel".

There's more than one way to skin a cat (hint: with men, it's usually through their wallet). Announcing casually over your morning cornflakes that the Iranian Oil Bourse is likely to collapse the US dollar and the resulting deflation would doom us all, so doesn't HoneyFace think we should buy 150# of pinto beans and three cases of canned beef, will probably not go over so well. What worked with my hubby was to dangle a carrot. "Good gravy, have you seen what they're asking for ground beef this week? If we had bought twenty pounds three weeks ago when it was eighty-nine cents a pound, we could have saved $XX."

Work on him a little, sweetly, discreetly. My proudest moment was last week when DH told me quite seriously that we needed a milk cow. I planted the seed, dairy prices did the rest of the work for me.

18. KindredSpirit

I had to laugh out loud on this post. That sounds like my husband and I really like your sense of humor about it. Good advice too!! :)

19. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Actually, the Bible only says to not WORRY about tomorrow, not to not PLAN for it!

I do not WORRY about the chances of another ice storm and the power being out for several days again. But, I DO have candles, and wood for the fire place, and a grill in the backyard, and a few cans of food for easy heating, and a kerosine heater.

I had MOST of that before the LAST ice storm, the one that knocked out the power for up to 2 weeks and took out our power for 3 1/2 days. It was LOVELY to have the roaring fire, and dinner cooked on the grill, but it wasn't really enough heat for us so we added the kerosine heater after the fuss was over.

But, WORRY about it? What for? You don't have to be WORRIED to be PRUDENT!
    As for the things the gov isn't telling us, I see it but I don't think it is getting any worse than it was 30 years ago. I do not expect the civilization to collapse. Recession and natural disasters, yes, and perhaps a depression several years in our future. But, not for a while yet.

By the way, did you know you can cut your food bill by 1/4 if you keep a larder? When green beans are on sale I buy a few extra, use them as desired, then when green beans come on sale AGAIN I fill the holes in the larder. That means that I rarely have to pay full price for green beans, or mac n' cheese, or hamburger as we have a freezer, or.......

My husband ALSO worries that I might worry, but I rarely do. What I DO do is, see to it that I am prepared for the unexpected. :hobbyhors

20. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Does it seem as though people tend to do what they want to do and believe what they want to believe (for whatever reason) then SELECTIVELY quote "authorities", "scientists", "scripture", "law", etc to justify their choice (perhaps even to themselves)? For example, in a couple posts above, diametrically opposed viewpoints are “supported” depending what verse of scripture is quoted.

Is it a near universal human characteristic to say, “My mind is made up and I am going looking for things that support my decision”? A similar position is, “My mind’s made up. Don’t confuse me with facts.”

It is rare to hear anyone say, “I am willing to change my thinking if convincing evidence is presented”.