Just wondering

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caren, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

DH wants to pick up the fair calves next week. Can they be companion animals for my pg doeling? or is there a reason you shouldn't mix goats and calves? I thought if I took my doeling out every day and made sure she got her ration of COB and still provided a sweetlix block for goats she should be fine. But I wanted to ask the experts first.

If I provided a cattle block would there be anything in there she shouldn't have?

I'm also going to ask on the cattle forum to see their opinion.

Caren

2. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

The more I think about this I'm thinking that this is a bad idea because you have to keep feed in front of cattle at all times.

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't want to put a cattle block anywhere near goats. Some of them contain urea, which is highly toxic to goats. I also wouldn't put a pregnant goat anywhere near cattle. I saw the tragic results of this one winter at a friends farm when the heifers broke the fence and trampled a baby goat to death. If your doeling needs a companion, another doe would be better.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would not put a calf with a goat because the difference in the size. isn't your goat a pigmy?