Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by primroselane, Aug 29, 2004.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

Published Friday, August 27, 2004

Large Fish Catches Boy in Minnesota

The Associated Press
    DULUTH, Minn.
    An 11-year-old boy was out hunting frogs on Island Lake when he became the prey. A large fish, probably a muskellunge or a northern pike, attacked the boy about 5 p.m. Thursday as he and his young sister were wading in a foot of water.

The resulting wounds on Mason DeRosier's feet and hands required 11 stitches to close.

Mason's father, Richard DeRosier, was in a paddle boat just offshore during the attack. DeRosier, a Lake County deputy sheriff, said he was facing the children when he saw a huge swirl in the water.

"Before I can say 'Holy moley! Look at that!', all of a sudden the swirl is by their feet," he said.

Mason said he saw the fish splash just offshore. "It was like, maybe, 5 feet in front of us," Mason said. "Then it splashed right at my foot and bit me. It hurt."

It didn't let go. "I smacked it in the head and tried to pry it off my foot," Mason said. "He let go, but he bit my hand."

The sister wasn't hurt.

Mason was taken in back to the family's cabin to wash the wounds, then he was off to the hospital.

He received eight stitches in his left hand and three in the bottom of his right foot. He has numerous other bite marks across the top of his foot, his dad said.

"I'll bet he has 20 cuts on his foot and 10 cuts on his hand," Richard DeRosier said.

2. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.. wonder if the fish told his buddies a tall tale about the one that
    got away??

3. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

:haha: Thank you Donovan K, I really enjoyed that one! :haha:

4. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

When I was younger (and looked good in a bathing suit), I used to water ski at Kentucky Lake. I remember one day waiting in the water for my grandfather to bring around the boat to pick me up, and I started thinking about all the little fishies swimming around underneath me . . . then I started thinking about the big fishies swimming around underneath me . . . then I started thinking about how I might actually start looking like good food to some of those real big fishies swimming around underneath me.

By the time my grandfather brought the boat around, I practically flew into it. To this day, I still get a wee bit nervous swimming in water where I can't see the bottom. Thanks for giving me yet another thing to worry about. :(

We go to the beach every year . . . you have any good stories where a nasty shark attacks a slightly overweight woman who doesn't go any farther than 3 - 4 feet deep? ;)

5. Anniebek

Anniebek Well-Known Member

6. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/9466479.htm

7. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

YIKES!!!!!

Thanks, Primroselane and Anniebek . . . I may never set foot in the water again. :no: :)