Just when you think the spiders are gone for the winter...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Traci Ann, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Traci Ann

Traci Ann Domestic Engineer

I get bit!!

Got to the DR via my mom and her all wheel drive this morning. Dr confirmed my thoughts on type of spider - Yep, recluse...

Thinking he must have crawled into my nightgown in the bathroom yesterday...

Burned like I had a hot poker in the side of my calf this morning...tonight it is still red with a HUGE blister, but the antibotics must have begun helping because it does not hurt anymore tonight. Dr put me on the big guns...I don't do many meds so maybe that helped too...

2. floramum

floramum Well-Known Member

What A Nightmare, Hope It Heals Well And Quickly For You.

I Keep Wasp Spray Handy. That Way Dont Have To Get Too Close To The Bug You Want To Nuke.

3. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

We've killed 4 of them in the barn this year.

I let most spiders go about there business, but not the recluse. It won't stand a chance if I see them...

Hope you heal fast!

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Traci Ann, do yourself a BIG favor and get you some good probiotics from the fridge of your local health food store. Take one or two with yogurt about 1 1/2 hours after each dose of your antibiotic.

It makes a HUGE difference in how your body handles those powerful antibiotics. I had to take a very powerful course of antibiotics after a dog bite. It helped tremendously.

I hope you heal well with no lasting effects.

5. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Oh that is so scray. I am so afraid of spiders as it is. And I'm deathly allergic to bees, wasps and ants. I've never been spider bit, but it is a fear of mine. I'm always afraid I'll get bit and not make it to the hospital in time. Thank the Lord you're okay. Make yourself some hot tea and try and rest a lot. Let the meds do their thing. I'm allergic to a lot of antibiotics too, so I'm always concerned they won't have anything that I can take.

6. Traci Ann

Traci Ann Domestic Engineer

Well feeling better today. It just kills me that I get bit now after getting all the ones I could see over the last year. This house was infested with them!! I haven't really caught any in the last 2 months... (sigh)

7. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

we've had issues with them too. they are nasty little critters. We had one get in bed with us. Got me and dh before one of us killed it. I can't take a lot of antibiotics normally and I had a nursing baby at the time so that knocked out most of what he wanted to give me. I came home with a scrip for amoxicillin....never did fill it. I just kept cleaning with tea tree oil and packing it with goldenseal. Kept the marks on my ankle for several years but you can't tell it now. I kill any spider on sight now.

8. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

If the center turns black, it MUST be cut out. Otherwise the poison will continue to eat a large non healing hole in your leg. I have seen this often with brown recluse bites. Doctors have some reluctance in doing the excising but this is the ONLY way it will heal. ONLY if the center turns black. Good luck.

9. Snuffy Smith

Snuffy Smith Well-Known Member

I have a few at my house also, but I have Terminex come out once a month and spray around the baseboards on the inside of the house. They also spray along the ground on the outside of the house. Supposedly, when the spider walks across the chemical barrier, they start to die.

10. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

The Google ad at the top of this page says SPIDERS- Browse a large selection now. Find exactly what you want!
    My dgd found a teensy teensy spider on the paddle boat Sunday. She started to wig out- GFB was telling her it was harmless but she didn;t belive him. She demanded to know what type it was. It's a wet spider, I said as I flang it in the lake. Never would've DARED do that a few years ago.
    You all be careful about your bedclothes dragging on the floor- and shake out your sheets well before tucking them in...

11. Vic

Vic Well-Known Member

Traci, we have almost gotten rid of our brown recluses with those glue boards. We were over run with them for a few years and then we had an exterminator come and put them down for us and you wouldn't believe how many spiders we accumilated with them. The only thing about it is that the ones he uses are far better than the ones you can buy in a store. I bought some and put tham down and watched a spider crawl through them and come out the other side. His glue boards really work on the brown recluse mainly, I haven't see one for a long time.

Julie had some essential oil that worked real good for drawing out poision from a bite. If you want I can put you in touch with the lady who sells it. She goes to our Church here.

I hope it gets better soon. Vic