Just what can't you container garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by birdie_poo, Feb 24, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I am having one heck of a time with the gophers. The thought of all the hard work putting in a garden is overwhelming when I think about all the plants that get eaten by those darn things!

I invision a container garden where I can grow what I want, when I want, but...some things have got to be impossible, right?

Sweet potatoes - ?
    toms - yes
    leeks, chives, onions, etc - yes
    pees, beens, other viners - yes

Ideally, I would love to take a bobcat, dig out where I garden, put in some sort of retaining wall, or seal, so the darn things can't get in, put the soil back and start over.

I have the space, can get the containers, but with a big project like that, where would I start? We don't get enough rain to let them just go like a ground garden...containers seem to be an awful lot of work.

See how I go back and forth? Someone slap me, and tell me I can do this, and have some ideas. Wouldn't a great big green house be nice???

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

If you want to container garden, but don't want to water every day, how about burying the pots? They have drainage holes, so the worms should be able to get in, but not the gophers. yeah, ya gotta dig the original holes, but not every year.....

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I have a neighbor that does that, but the bigger the pots, the bigger the drainage holes. She still gets gophers. Some are even smart enough to make a hole next the dug in pot, and walks to the plant and nibbles.

I have all these illusions of grandiure (SP??) about gardening pest-free, where production yields are enormous, and everything tastes so good with little to no work.

I can't get rid of weeds, either. I wont spray, can't salt, and the plastic stuf doesn't work!!!

I think, in hind-sight, this was more of a rant or thinking outloud. I'd love to hear of all the container, homemade greenhouse, pest erradication ideas, though!!

4. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member