Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will "officially" be the very proud owner of a 400# Columbia Ram!!!!
So excited!
I've been waiting since our State Fair, back in August for this big boy. He is the sire to the Columbia that won at the State Fair, 2 years old, and is used on weekends as a ride on toy at a petting zoo. How awesome is that?
He's very sweet, a total gentleman, and I'm just over the moon to be able to get him!
His name is Shiner, which is too funny as dh and I had talked about Ram names last year, and decided we wanted to go with a semi Gaelic/alcohol theme. Guinness, Jamison, and Shiner!
Shiner Bock being dhs beer of choice.
When we made the deal to buy him, we had no idea what his name was, after we found out, we knew we made the right decision!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Sounds MASSSSSIIIIIVVVVEEEEE! Please be safe. No matter how his disposition is supposed to be, that big boy could inflict big damage. Even if he has a gentle history, do not turn your back come breeding time. :D

My friendly pet of a ram shocked me a few times last breeding season, and he is only 250...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Wow, that is one monster ram! Hope you are only breeding experienced ewes! Is he going to be a terminal sire or are you working on breeding a line of quarter-ton sheep :D

Friend and neighbour just bought a snuggly pet of a ram, he is a big tall Dorset and probably near 300#. Comes over and nuzzles you to be petted, lets you handle him like he was a horse.

The ram has some great blood but said friend is over 80 years old and that friendly ram makes me really nervous, to be honest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow, a big one!
Congratulations!!! :thumb:
And like everyone said, always keep one eye focused on any ram behind your back.
All of my rams are very friendly with the sweetest disposition, but I do keep a watchful eye on them anyway "just in case" cuz you just never know.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the picture I took of his son at the fair.
The young man holding him is 6'5". This big guy is 450#, so a bit heavier than Daddy, but they are the same height.
24 hours to go!:sing:

Attachments

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
You could ride that one!

450lbs is heavier than my Miniature horses.. one weighs 250lbs.. the other 180lbs. My Katahdins and Katahdin cross..weight about the same as my miniature horses and I thought that was huge.
That is one impressive Ram!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's hard to argue with a sign that's in the suds. Who gets the first ride?
LOL, That's what dh said.
Our Grandson goes first! :sing:

I just couldn't sleep anymore, he'll be here in just a few hours..
Our plans for him are quite simple really. We are getting some Columbia ewe's, and some Corridales as well.
We are breeding for meat, and fiber.
Next Spring we will Introduce a Rambouillet ram into the picture as well as several Rambo ewe's.
We want big, with awesome fiber.
I seriously think the Columbia is often overlooked in their capacity to produce really nice, quality fiber.
It has a fantastic crimp to it, and is actually very soft, and easy to work with if the animal is given better than the average "range sheep" diet.:thumb:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Is he there yet!? That's one HUGE sheep. If you wanted to bring a little columbian ewe lamb down next time you visit your daughter, I'd happily give her a home ;-)

Diverse organic, grass-based farm in Georgetown, Tx.

Offering Rambouillet sheep(meat and fiber), East Friesian x Blue Faced Leicester sheep(DAIRY, meat, and fiber), small stature purebred Jersey cattle and ADGA Alpine and Nubian dairy goats.

Also 5+ acres in vegetables, CSA.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not yet, and I'm getting stressed.
I was supposed to go to York today, and wanted, obviously, to make sure he was settled in before I left. It's an 85 mile drive one way, so I'll be gone for several hours just driving....
I called the seller, as his Mom is on the board for the Nebraska Sheep and Goat Producers, and they needed to be in Clay Center by 1 for her to get ready for this weekends meeting...but haven't heard back.
I'm hoping all is well, and they are just running late...

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOOHOO!!!!
Just got a call, they are just running way late, but are now about 45 minutes away!!:sing::sing::sing:

·
Registered
895 Posts
With baited breath...

Offering Rambouillet sheep(meat and fiber), East Friesian x Blue Faced Leicester sheep(DAIRY, meat, and fiber), small stature purebred Jersey cattle and ADGA Alpine and Nubian dairy goats.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:buds::sing::buds::sing:

HE'S HERE!!!!
OMGOODNESS! I had forgotten how actually big he is, holy moly!
I mean a picture is one thing, but to be face to face with him is totally different.
He is amazing, and fabulous:D, and I'm going to go out and get some pictures in a bit!:sing:

Reactions: DragonFlyFarm

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, he has been on grass his whole life, he does get 1 1/2 cups of corn at his evening feeding, according to the people I just got him from. Otherwise, just grass and a bit of alfalfa.:D
Good breeding is an amazing thing, not to mention Columbias are big, big, big anyway..:D
Off to go take pictures!:thumb:

Reactions: Pearl B

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a couple quick shots, he is a bit excited right now, understandably.
But still just sweet as can be.
Seems to really love scratches, right in that soft spot in front of his ears.
BTW, that is a 5 ft. fence...

I happened to catch this great shot of one of my 4 remaining Barbados ewe's giving him they "Hey look at me" pose.

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
My year and a half old jersey is about the same size. LOVE HIM! How old is he, what's his story, was he a show horse, er sheep?

Congrats!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts