Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH and I are planning the move to our homestead for the end of August. We're doing our own foundation (with family help) and moving a house out onto the property, trying to do it all within a modest but sufficient budget. And we are stressed out.

The couple we are buying the house from are *so* disorganized, terrible at returning calls and e-mails, they don't have any of their disconnect and demolish permits in process and they still haven't recieved word from the bank about whether they can demolish or not (one of those things that was going to be "maybe the end of the week, early next week, mid month, hopefully by Friday and on and on.) DH and I are just sick thinking about relying on these two people to get their act together so we can get our permits, get the house and get it out of there.

But mainly I'm just exhausted from trying to drag these people through the process of getting their house off their lot so they can build the new one. Believe it or not, but they have a Sept. 1st deadline. for the day that their builder starts work on the site. I just don't know why they can't get their butts in gear.

I mostly wanted to say that even though we are both tired, stressed out, slightly panicky and just plain wishing we could get a mental break from the whole thing (just for an *hour*!) coming here and reading HT is the best medicine there is for a forlorn homesteader. I love reading about all the hard work everyone puts into their homesteads and families, the failures and triumphs and all the funny stories. They give me a little more strength, a little perspective and I after reading for a bit I finally feel like I'll be able to get to sleep and that things will look better in the morning.

So Thanks! for a great community and a wonderful resource.

(and funny posts are the most restorative, hint hint!)

LB

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Don't worry about it. The house will be moved by Sep 1 so thay can build a new one. Just remember that the house movers will do the job when ever evrything is in place. Just let things come at their own time. I am bad about rushing things until they are finished. Take a fwe minuits and go fishing or go golfing or something that you like to do and let the House movers worry about the move. As long as the foundation is their you have nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
I can say one thing.... stressing over getting things done won't change one bit of when they happen. Sit back, sip a cold one of whatever you like most and just let go of it all for an hour. It won't matter a bit in the long run and you can have your rest right now. :)

It is an illusion that we must hurry and worry over things. Generally, they will happen in their own time and it will be fine. So... do what you have to do, when you have to do it, but the rest of the time tell the hurry and worry to go somewhere else and enjoy yourself! It really won't make any difference except to your own peace and calm.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Sounds like you need to set you own deadline! I would type a letter requesting every thing be complete by such in such..If that doesn't work, have your lawyer type up a letter stating that if the house isn't ready for moving by a certain date, the contract will be null and void!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

There is a plan B. Stay here renting while we find another house. Hopefully one that fits on the first foundation! (just kidding, there's only a hole yet.)

I have to get to work on all this now, but DH and I are taking this Saturday all to ourselves, going out for breakfast (a treat!) and attending the University horticulture fair. I think we'll get a couple of trees (another treat!)

Thanks again for the encouragement!

best,
LB

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Littlebird, when things like this overwhelm me I try and remember that in "X" amount of time, say, three months, or by winter, or whatever, the problem will be solved and behind me. When you think of it like that it seems to lessen the stress of it for me. Good luck!

Jennifer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts