Just tired of the Spanish pushing.

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by stanb999, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

I'm getting tired of all the spanish being pushed on my little kids (2 and 4). Is their any good TV or must I remove the whole thing? Is their websites that have games for them (not in half spanish)? I was just watching my son play a game on NickJR.com that had dora teaching him colors in spanish. The spoken language was english but the answers to the colors were spanish. He is 2 years old. I believe he needs to learn the english color names first. AM I WRONG?
    I think I'm about to unplug the whole thing and teach them only with the learning games we have bought.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

why in the world would you object to your child learning a second language? or a third? it can only help him in the future. just think, if he has the opportunity to travel the world, he can always fiind someone who understands him. it's considered normal in europe for people to be fluent in several languages.

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Every other developed country expects their citizens to become bilingual. The social and intellectual benefits of being exposed to more than one language have been proven over and over. My kids speak 3 languages fluently, having been exposed to them from birth. They also nearly aced their SAT's, read earlier than other children, had early entry to college, and have been able to converse with people from all over the world.

4. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

If its what you want-then its fine, if its something you DONT want-then, i agree, its wrong.

5. stanb999

Reason ONE, In Europe or the rest of the world for that matter they train in the local language FIRST.

Reason Two, Countries in europe are tiny. They can't go 1000 miles in most directions and still be in their own country.

Reason Three, We the people of the USA left europe because they were backwards in the past. Don't you think they may still be that way?

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My wife speaks German,Persian,and signs.But it is because her Grandparents spoke German.She was married to an Irainian.And her Sister is Deaf.

But I know where you are coming from on the Spanish about pushing it.There is one Channel on TV they are starting to do some of the News in Spanish,trying to push this on us.

big rockpile

7. stanb999

So you are saying that the economies of other parts of the world are better than ours? The people as a whole live better?

The people with these Ideas are dieing out. Look at the population studies. The more "liberal" or "open minded" the country is the less population growth it has And contrary to popular belief; people mean civilization. No people means no civilization or continued success.

Edited to add. Of course the other countries what the children to learn english. It's the language of money. Spanish is the language of picking fruit.

8. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Sounds like a good plan to me. Gesh I WISH I had taken Spanish while in school. Would have been a lot easier getting jobs. Yes Now days speaking at least One Other language, especially Spanish Is VERY helpful when seeking work. And now these young ones growing up now with have such a HEAD Start on things like this. They will be way better off then some of us with only knowing one language English.
    I feel for your children they are having a better start at things then many of us ever had.

9. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

all of the reasons you gave are... well... wrong. well, reason two is kind of right, but that's only part of the reason.

a good education includes learning as much as possible about the world around us. why you would want to limit your child in that way, i sure don't understand.

10. littletree

littletree Homestead Dreams....

Your issues obviously go way past Dora the Explorer.

11. stanb999

A good education is about learning to excell, learning the ways of money, learning to communicate.....YES. But it is not above all others. I can hire a spanish guy for a dollar more an hour to talk to my spanish laborers. Now in this situation which language was worth more?

12. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

LOL!

It takes American fashion at least 6 months to come to Finland. Our tv shows from America are 2-3 years behind what you guys watch in America. We don't even have Dr. Pepper and no one knows what Kettle Korn is/ no cornbread.

I agree with this statement lol.

Kat

13. stanb999

Yes it was quite tasteless but it illustrated my point. English is the language of money.

Now if chinese was being pushed on the kids. That would make more sense. We do most of our trading with asia. Their's alot of money to be made their.

I think this is another social experiment. This is to make us more accepting of mexico/america/canada becoming one continental union. I wish not to have this pushed down my childrens throat.

Now back to the reason for posting. Are their any childrens game sites on the internet that have english?

14. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

Little kids are sponges. This is the perfect time to start. I think this is why they are doing it. If you don't want you child to learn Spanish, then don't let him watch.

15. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I think it's good to be able to speak different languages, it keeps the minds sharp.

I can speak alittle Swedish-Finnish, French and English. I'm rusty on everything but English but I could get by in a pinch.

I think Americans are having more problems with foreigners having non-assimulation than anything else. Language is a small part of a bigger picture.

Kat

16. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I've been all over the world. Every continent except Antarctica. Sorry, but much of the world educates their children much better than we do in the US. That includes many underdeveloped nations as well.

You're wrong that english is taught first. My children learned two languages together and didn't get "confused".

As for the rest of your ranting about spanish and picking fruit, it probably doesn't matter to you what the rest of the world does. I assume you'll be raising your children much differently than I've raised mine.

17. stanb999

I wasn't trying to be mean when I said that. But it is a fact. If you know english in this country you will earn more than those that don't in the same field. The real disservice is being done to the children taking ESL cources in this country.

18. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

If you want to succeed in the world of international finance, believe it or not, German or Japanese is by far the better language to know.

A very close friend of mine learned Spanish as a second language, and it wasn't to communicate while "picking fruit" -- it helped her land a job as a researcher at a major US university. She's got a double doctorate, and uses Spanish every day.

Despite popular belief "most" of the world doesn't speak English. "Most" of the world speaks the native tongue of their country, and many, many children in those countries know a smattering of English. However, they also know a "smattering" of German, French and Spanish as well. In Europe, Spanish is not looked down on as it is in America -- because in America it suggests "Mexican" or "Latino" which is almost a dirty word with some people.

The increased ability to communicate is a good thing. I agree that children should know their heritage and the languages of their families well, but I have never known a child who was exposed to multiple languages early that confused the two. In our own family, we knew that Mum didn't speak German, but Grandma did -- even when very young we never confused the two. Teaching children ANY second language at this age enables them to learn other languages more easily as they get older. That kind of benefit will have more and more worth as our global economy grows. It used to be that a child growing up in the midwest would have little use for a second language, as their lives were pretty much mapped out -- thankfully that is no longer the case. Our children have opportunities that we never dreamt of, and giving them the added benefit of a second, or third, language allows them to take even more advantage of those opportunities.

Language is communication -- and communication skills are imperative if our children are going to make this world a better place in the future.

19. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

All I can say is you better learn spanish, because it will be spoken here eventually.

20. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Cite me some statistics. The technical and scientific communities in the US are employing more and more middle eastern and asians in high paying positions, because they simply can't find similarily trained "english speaking" employees. If you've traveled to NY, SF, CHI, LA, or Miami lately, you'll find non english speaking personel in every level of employment.

Do a little research. Regardless of the language learned, the aquisition of a second language as a young child helps in every aspect of that child's later learning. Especially in english language skills and math. ESL courses keep a child on par academically with their peers as they learn a new language. If you've never learned another language, which I suspect is true, you wouldn't really know how hard it is to learn, beyond young childhood. English is one of the hardest languages to aquire. And it's no longer the "language of money", or everyone in this country who graduated public school would have great grammar and spelling ability, and would be in high paying positions. Hmm?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.