Just ranting- shrinkage at building site

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jenn, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Building site being in my backyard. Cement pourers kneeling on nice boards as they did finishing work; after they left noticed my garden kneeling pad moved from garden to cement site and they took their boards with them except for one. Today went to start assembly of another cedar raised bed- only 1 of 4 of my 1x8" cut to 3' long end boards is there! All the 2x4s are there so the folks framing the cement forms with 2x4 stakes are innocent. Went to check that left over kneeling board- yes- except for being grimy and coated in cement on one side, it's cedar! And they have half the ends of my next raised bed and I don't know if I want it back anyway!

I can see using scrap wood right at the building site, but walking around my yard and picking up wood, and then not leaving it? Not on! And to think I gave some spinach to one of the guys!

Grumble grumble... I'd carefully checked that all my garden TOOLS were still there as the strange work crew packed up to go- never thought to inventory my lumber!

2. Sumer

Sumer Well-Known Member

Wow just about the same thing happened to my sister when they were pouring cement for her garage. They used wood that was leftover from the tearing down of the old garage. They were going to use it in the building of the new garage. Didnt ask if either sis or her DH wanted or needed it for anything. Just used it because I guess it was there. They also used her brand new long handled hanging pot waterer/sprayer. Something ya put on the end of the hose to reach up to water hanging potted plants. Looked like they used it to stir cement when they were done.
    So ya, I understand your frustration. I would be mad too.

Sumer

3. terrythetaod

terrythetaod Well-Known Member

Yeah, when they were building my house I stopped by and saw the various work crews filling 5 gallon buckets with oranges from the grove. I really didn't mind, but I just wish they had asked first. It would have been nice to feel generous rather than feel like the victim of theft.

4. earthdog

earthdog Active Member

You need to say something to the contrator. Did you pay him yet? If not short his check for damage and things missing. Shorting his check will get his attention real quick. I drive a cement mixer for my job and to be honest, I haven't seen any of my contractors doing crap like that. I'd be ----ed.
    I'd be really ----ed, and tell them to put them back, because they are stealing from the person they are making $ from. So in a sence, you paid them to steal from you...

5. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

guess if they hadnt picked up ur lumber then they would have to bought new stuff and you would have to a paid for it any ways.

6. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

When they were pouring the pad for our garage I caught them scooping gravel from our driveway to make up the difference - since they hadn't brought in enough gravel. (And they had charged me an arm and a leg for it already!) I stopped the forman who was doing it and I thought the guy was going to actually slug me. Which would have been a really stupid thing for him to do - even if I was very pregnant I am quite capable of defending myself. He literally was screaming just inches from my faces. His workers just looked stunned. He finally backed off (I wasn't about to move) and I called the owner of the company and complained on the spot. The idiot was later fired when he almost came to blows with the owner.

Fortuantely the rest of the crew was great. The framer let us borrow his big rolling magnet to help with cleaning up the junk left around the property by the former owners.

I'd would certianly call the responsible parties and complain about them taking and using items that they had to business using.

7. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

Did you pick up the lumber & supplies yourself & have it hauled in or did you give the contractor a set amount to provide the materials & labor to do the job? If you gave them a set price for materials, labor, etc. Then any leftover lumber would be theres as a portion of their pay to do with as they wish wouldn't it? If you picked up the supplies then I'd be ticked too.

8. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Not only was the crew starnge to you your place was strange to them they needed lumber that was supposed to be there how were they to know where and how each stick was placed?

9. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I would think they should have come fully prepared for the work they agreed to do. That included bringing their own kneeling pads and such.

On the oranges I suggest formally billing the contractor for what you estimated you lost at grocery store prices. You might also do so for the cedar lumber of yours they used and either made unserviceable or took.

Swiping an orange for lunch is one thing. Taking them off by the bucket full is quite another.

10. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I'll add: Be very careful once you start to build. Theft of materials from a building site seems to be a fairly common practice. If a contractor you might encourage them to schedule deliveries as needed, rather than everything at once.

11. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

only one of the NUMEROUS things that happened to me--second day on the job, this man and his son kept snapping their new stanley measuring tapes clipped to their belt-only after they left--did i discover they were MY tapes!!

12. Jenn

They were to do it all without my help- and the boards were 100' away from their worksite next to several raised beds built out of similar ones. Had they at least LEFT them all after borrowing them I'd just be asking if cement in my raised bed would be bad or not.

13. Jenn

The main contractor's man (cement pourer was subcontracter) said he'll have me another 1"x8"x12' cedar board on Monday! Whether he does or not- just $15- I have my justice- just wish I could see the perpetrator(s) get theirs over their dad's knees! In other words never know if they'll be chastised or not; just hope so.