Just picked

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by pickapeppa, Oct 1, 2005.

1. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm so excited. I just picked my second harvest of green beans today. :dance: A small 2 lbs. so far, but definitely more in a few days. The plants are quite bug-eaten this time of year. Don't seem to have this problem with May plantings of green beans, ever. There are only 4 rows about 16' long, and not nearly as prolific yet as their May-planted siblings. I'm still hoping to get enough to can or freeze for winter. So far, only enough for dinner time.

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

if you want some tasty sweet green beans try scarlet runners next year!!! they are a pole bean so take up little room . pick when you can just feel the beans forming . bees and hummingbirds love it too.

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

steve, have you tried growing scarlet runners in the sweet corn patch? They use the corn stalks to grow on. I plant the beans as a later crop when the corn is taller than knee high. Of course, the third sister to that idea is to interplant sqash for the ground level in the corn patch to help keep weed free and regulate ground moisture better.

4. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Okay, I've tried scarlet runners before, without much success but wanted to try them again. Mine are Contender. Have had great beans for the last three years so I keep growing them. They can and freeze well. My only question regarding the three sisters is, how do you pick without trompling all of the squash?? I think I'll ask dh if he will try this next year. He's not as much of a clutz in the row as me, lol. Perhaps they get planted in circles instead of rows?

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

hi rich ,we have not been growing corn in the garden for a few years now . it would make a good addition though! added nitro and the beans shaded. pickapeppa , the beans like some shade ,planting the three sisters would help, also like lots of water neghbour had a ten acre field planted in rows of corn and beans then squash and pumpkins between . this was mostly indian corn for halloween and the squash were picked before the corn ,bean was just left. we harvested the remaining corn/bean mix for sheep and they loved it! some rows were sweet corn but was not picked as there was a glut of corn that year.
    next year we are planting sweet corn in a field and are trying the bean ,corn pumpkin/squash idea.