Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im sleeping in bed and my wife wakes me up scared. Tells me to 'get my gun'. Theres a racoon outside trying to get into the house. I naturally think she is exaggerating so I go to the door and sure enough theres a **** on the porch trying to claw through the door. He is falling over himself, getting back up, stumbling, and looks drunk.

I bang on the door thinking he will run away. Nope, he is desperately trying to get in the door. I grabbed my gun and wait until he moves away from the door a little, then I go out. When he sees me he runs [ or tires too ], mostly stumbling. I catch him before he gets into the bushes. A perfect 20 yard shot to the heart and he is mercifully dead in seconds.

We got him bagged up and figure we'll make some calls in the morning. I dont want to bury him as he's got rabbies or distemper.

Wife got up thinking the cat wanted in, luckily she looked before opening the door! He'd have come right in and bit the dog [ or vice versa ], or one of us.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
very likely distemper , was just talking with the vet Monday and they are starting to get report of it.

bury should be fine both Rabies and distemper are a virus and rabies can't even survive in wintering possums because their blood temp gets to cold in hibernation. it needs a mamal not a marsupial.

yes I have also been caught by the C 00 n filter racoon does work

red neck as one word also does not work any more.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
...the word c-0-0-n was eliminated from my post by a mindless algorithm that HT employed to monitor our discussions. Ridiculous and sad, imo. It gets so we can barely even communicate online. Shame on HT.
I often wonder if the algorithm is mindless or if the people who deploy it are.

I believe if you put an ' in front it will work... find out in a second... '****.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I often wonder if the algorithm is mindless or if the people who deploy it are.

I believe if you put an ' in front it will work... find out in a second... '****.
Nope... didn't work... looks like they're not bright enough to even figure that out!!!

Glad I'm just a peon... seems like the higher up you get in life... the more damn dumb you get. Putting an ' in front of c00n is an accepted, legitimate contraction.

Reactions: Adirondackian

·
Registered
35 Posts
Them varmits are a plague around here nowadays. I was forced to take down the birdfeeders, doggone things were climbing the pole and slamming the feeders around every 15 minutes most nights. I would slide the window screen up and and grab the gun, but couldn't always get them before they ran over by the propane tank so I had to hold the shot. One of them was small and looked pretty ragged, I wonder if it was sick? I guess if I want to get rid of them I'll have to learn to trap 'em and then shoot.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
with C00N prices in the crappper since 2016 the populations just keep climbing with no incentive to trap them and control the population they just die of disease and not a instant dispatch of a bullet.
the most cruel thing you can do is not manage your wild life resources

they would be dead either way but one way they suffer for weeks then die in agonizing pain , then just wasted to the flies.
the diseases spread , the destruction of crops and nesting birds

the other way an instant death , fur an infinitely renewable resource for warm garments that last , meat can be eaten or sold on the meat market.

yup those bans on fur , sure are fighting cruelty NOT

·
Premium Member
33,047 Posts
I got one last year that had an open wound on a broken leg. It wouldn't have lasted much longer in the wild but at least I was able to put it out of it's misery.

The young ones are out and about now. Someone got 2 of them on the road not far from my house.

·
Super Moderator
14,179 Posts
Posted 6/23/22 10:59 P.M. CDST

The wildlife department here has increased sowing rabies vaccine wafers in the pine thickets around here as the raccoon populations have increased over recent years.

One of the wildlife guys I went to high school with who went to work with wildlife control in the 1990s told me that he has ordered almost twice the normal broadcast wildlife rabies wafers for this year but on the bright side for me, the wildlife management isn't planning on seeding any new snake population in my area.

Few folks around here understand that wildlife management balances disease treatments and natural predator levels.

He also told me that the last case of a rabid raccoon in our area was over a decade ago.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Recently did some night work at a resturant. 8 foot chainlink fence around the dumpster area did not slow the c00ns down at all. When going to the truck for something it quickly because normal for us see 8 or 9 in the dumpster. Seems the resturant help made no effort to close the sliding dumpster lids at all, they were all left open the entire week we were there. Thats just one place of business, hard to guess how many animals around town raiding other business dumpsters and home owners pet bowls at night.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts