Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., I'm still a bit shaky, but all seems well! :baby04:

We just had our very first goat baby. I just want to check in to make sure it all seems o.k. with some more experienced goat hands.....

Can someone describe the placenta? After the kid was born there was a big dark bubble, which I thought might be another kid.....but it hung there forever. An hour..while she cleaned, nursed and cleaned the kid some more. When it was all hanging out it looked like a bag filled with red jelly--with some darker splotches in it. It did not look like the human placentas I have seen. But she finally passed it. The cord came out with it so I assume it was the placenta. Yes?

I then got behind her and gently pushed up on her stomach in front of her udder. It was firmish, but I felt no knobby things, etc. How can you tell for sure there are no more kids? She seems o.k. and ate some raisins. I assume she is done?

The kid did nurse one time and is now sleeping. I'll be happy when this first time is over. I am so scared nothing is normal and I'll go down tomorrow to a dead kid or mom. I know, I know.....but it's a bit scary the first time!

I'll try to post pics tomorrow--I got some good ones!

Dee

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, thank you. That makes me feel better. I did look at the pics on Fias Co Farm's website and it does look like their pics. I worry about everything with this birth! As I was leaving the barn just now I was afraid to turn off the light for fear the mom wouldn't be able to see well enough and hurt the baby. Like goats haven't been having kids in the middle of the night forever. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll try to go to bed. My own little just-turned-one year old human kid will be wanting to nurse soon, I'm sure. :)

Dee

·
Premium Member
15,786 Posts
Congratulations.

That may be something I'll have to try once I get more comfortable caring for goats.

Did you give momma some molasses water? Dip the cord in iodine?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I did dip the cord but did not give the molasses water. I had read that warm water is good and I didn't want to come back up to the house at 12:30 a.m. to get that and take a chance on barking dogs waking the baby. So I took raisins down with me and she ate a handful of those up.

The kids ran down to the barn earl toda and said all is well. We are about to go milk so I'll take a good look at everybody to make sure it's going o.k.

One question about FF's. This is a Nubian who comes from a good milking line. With only one baby do I have to worry about milking her out at all during the colostrum phase? We are going to pull the kid to bottle feed probably after a few days (didn't have the heart or confidence to do it myself right after the birth). But will one baby be able to keep her from getting engorged. I guess if they're like humans that wouldn't happen until the milk came in....and then we'll start milking.

Pics coming after milking this morning. Boy, am I tired!

Dee

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Congrats on the new baby!
With my FF just a month or so ago, I only milked her out the first few days if she looked real full. And she was. I got a quart the first day, and it increased daily, but fed it to the dogs for the first week or so. Since I started milking her regular she is a heavy milker, so we are getting a gal a day from her. But I leave the babies on, I dont want another job, like bottle feeding. Didnt even like bottle feeding my children. Wont do it for a goat! lol!
Good luck! sounds like your doing well.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Yes! You should milk her at least once a day, preferably twice, making sure the baby eats before you milk. If you leave the colostrum in there it can harden and make the udder hard for days. There will be enough milk for the kid even if you milk twice a day, you are only removing the excess.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Why not just leave the baby on the dam? I thought I'd pull ALL my kids and bottle them but I too just "couldn't" after watching how happy the dams were with their babies. You'll have a screamer to deal with if you pull the kid after a few days anyway!

If you want the baby to be tame, just handle her a lot, I have very tame dam raised kids and annoying, cling-on bottle babies.

I left at least one kid on each dam, and milked them twice a day for the first couple of weeks, that's when their udders seriously bagged up and shone in the sun. Now, of my two FFs each with a kid, I get a half gallon daily from them milking them once, and separating mom and kid at night.

I've also used medical tape to tape the teats to keep the kids from nursing, just use Bag Balm on the teats every couple of days to keep the skin supple.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Idahoe said:
I've also used medical tape to tape the teats to keep the kids from nursing, just use Bag Balm on the teats every couple of days to keep the skin supple.
Tell me more!!! How do you do the tape? tape the teat up to the udder?? That tip could come in handy.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
mamajohnson said:
Tell me more!!! How do you do the tape? tape the teat up to the udder?? That tip could come in handy.
OK, I take one short piece of tape and put it lengthwise from the top of the teat on one side, under the teat so the orifice is closed off, and then up the other side. The next piece of tape is longer, and wrapped around the middle to top of the teat, mainly to keep the first piece on. Fold back a corner of the second piece of tape so you can peel it off easier. The bag balm keeps the skin from getting bothered by the tape, I put it on after I milk and turn her back over to the kids.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Sometimes they do :D . I have a few types of tape and have used the heavy duty super sticky cloth tape for the persistent kids. I can barely get that stuff off, and the babies certainly cant. The doe won't tolerate the baby trying for very long either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts