Just got to ask

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by topside1, Oct 24, 2006.

1. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Last year got 4 deer off my little homestead and saw quite a few more throughout the season. During this year's spring, summer, fall, I have yet to see even one deer, it's blowing my mind fellows. The only major change since last year is that I installed electric fence @ four high around the perimeter of my land. Come on it's only 4 feet high, please give me piece of mind!!!!! In your humble opinions has the population changed that drastically??? Could their patterns of movement changed that much??? Quite often I see deer one to two hundred yards from my property line. Is electric fencing that convincing to keep the Whitetails away....I have yet to see one deer on my land since February of 06. ...Any opinion on this matter would be appreciated.....thanks....Tennessee John

2. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

We've noticed the same thing here and we don't have electric fence. We only see one doe and her fawn and we usually see a ton of deer. Of course, it doesn't help that for the last few years the guy to the west of us gets some of his buddy's and they run the deer with trucks and then shoot them. We've called the warden, but since there's only 2 running the entire county, they never get here fast enough to catch him. So, I think our deer herd has been destroyed here. Very frustrating that some people are so unethical. :flame:

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

4. KesWindhunter

KesWindhunter Well-Known Member

I bet I lost over 200 head of muley does this winter and spring on the homestead. There were two doozie storms that really knocked them down. After the Dec 14 storm, I'd find them bedded down and just froze to death and the big storm that hit the end of April for 7 days piled 'em up in draws, covered them with 10' snow drifts and they suffocated. The bucks came through ok, though.
    Kinda weird to NOT see many deer on the hay meadows and in my barn lots.

A friend and I were just talking about this yesterday, and his thoughts were that allot of the does were probably really old (we have had mild winters for almost 10 years, and there werent allot of 'cull' doe hunters...except myself and dd#2) so it was a no-brainer that there was massive death tolls when the weather finally turned nasty. Makes sense to me.

You said whitetails...electric fence...I've never seen a whitetail wory about a piddly electric fence! Had any freaky weather this winter? Hot-cold-hot-cold? Dry-wet-dry? That can be real hard on them. How about Blue tongue? Might ask your game and fish (they might just surprize ya and know something!)

5. topside1

Thanks but, I don't own a dog, I do feel safe to say that the hunting season never seems to end around my county. Case in point, three weeks ago I saw clearly 9 bucks a half mile from my house. They were just moving through the area getting amped up for the rut. Two hours later gunshots and lots of them. The boys may have been sighting in weapons, but I think not....Keep the ideas coming because this electric fence possibility has really been bothering me...thanks again.

6. jross

jross swamper

Maybe someone is feeding them better than you are. I didn't go out today, but my buddy said when he heard me working a pole pruner, deer were hustling to our field from all over. Any metallic sound means a feeder is going off and that is the dinner bell. Deer will avoid obstacles unless they have a good reason to go through or over them. I just wacked up a fallen 4 trunk tree because they were skirting it and passing to far from one of my deerstands. They could have gone through the trunks easily enough, but they didn't have to so they just went 20 yards around it. Give them a reason to come to your place before they pattern it permanently as a place to visit only in emergencies.

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

A four foot fence wont stop a deer. But deer ARE lazy and will go around it rather than over it unless theres something inside that they want.

8. topside1

In the next few days I'm going to turn off the power to that field and hope for the best. I just overall it could be the fence. Granted they could just jump it easily enough, but getting shock enough times gets old and I'm a believer that they would rather crawl under rather than jump over. Hey I'll let you fine folks know how it goes...Tennessee John

9. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

Here the deer aren't being seen much because the mast is so abundant this yr. All the deer have to do is step out of the clear cuts into the regular timber and there is plenty of there favorite foods, then they just go back to bedding in the brush. Ain't much in the open feilds to compete with the acorns. Might try hunting wooded feeding areas next to bedgrounds..:)

10. ninny

ninny Well-Known Member

There's one thing that a lot of people don't know about electric fences, they give off ozone. Animals can smell it and stay away...

My father-in-law couldn't understand why his goats wouldn't go near the electric fence but as soon as the power was turned off, they would be out of it...

Turn the fence off for a couple of days and see if it helps...

11. Trapper

Trapper Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine has a farm surrounded by the national forest and has had more than his share of wildlife problems in his crops. The electric fence (6 foot high) he put up not only cut the damages from deer but from turkeys and it even reduced the predation on his stock. While this has helped every now and then a bear will come through and the fence dosen't seem to hold them back from the garden. If the fence is breached it dosen't take long and the deer find their way in. Funny but having the only cornfields within a twentyfive mile radius tends to be a deer magnet. :shrug: Trapper

12. topside1

Guys the fence is off, my animals have been moved. I'm going to keep you all informed....It has to be the electric fence!!! I have never seen it, but evidence (damage) to the fencing system shows that for a month or more deer were entering my fields. So once deer get tired of being shocked, common sense would presuade them to avoid the area....Thanks millions for your time!!!!