Just got piggies in Damascus

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by countrygrl, Oct 10, 2004.

1. countrygrl

countrygrl Guest

Hi all, Im dla's DD. so since my fam. and i are kinda new to this whole piggy thing i have a couple of questions, hope you dont mind... i know that horses have specific plants that are poison to them, so i was just wondering if pigs do as well. i thought there was some kind of plant that bothered light skinned pigs, but im not sure. another question was one of our smallest females (duroc) is shaking, almost like shivering, but she doesn't do it all the time. we just got the pigs on saturday, so i don't know if she could be just missing her sow or what? she moves around fine. sleeps with the rest of them, but tends to get pushed around at breakfast and dinner time. should i feed her seperate for a while? when we bought her she was fine, and the other 5 are doing great, so i dont think it could be sickness or anything, maybe she is cold?? any ideas would be appreciated. thanks,
    Sue

2. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

Did you get them from George Lechilders? How big are they?

3. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

How many does he have left?

4. countrygrl

countrygrl Guest

we got six, someone else got some more after us...he had maybe 20 or so after us. i think that he might have some more coming in a couple of weeks? they were ranging from 20 to 40ish pounds(just a guess). but let me tell you, some of them seem a whole lot heavier...and they are quick little monsters too.
    Sue

5. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Ah this brings back memories of spring! I got 6 and they were acting strange as well. I think the new surroundings and feed have a lot to do with it. The pigs I got were pink. The guy I got them from said they needed to be wormed, once I wormed them they were fine. But I wouldn't just worm them, listen here for more advice as I am far from expert.

6. countrygrl

countrygrl Guest

thanks for the info jackie c! they have already been wormed. when we purchased them they were done. the feed is the same as before we purchased them. but i think you are right, the new surroudings, noises and the like, just are an ajustment for her. besides, some of the other pigs have gotten out so maybe she just has had too much stress...i don't know.

7. jackie c

How's your little shiverer this day? Hope its feeling better. One thing I forgot to say about new arrivals is that they have enough feed. I increased feed ( being a newbee myself) and they seemed better. Just keep a close eye on her, if she gets sicker I would isolate her, and go to a vet.
    On a higher note I had a great time raising six pigs this year. I made a few mistakes, but not many or big. I didn't find them hard to care for at all. I'm doing this by myself so it'll be a breeze with help. Enjoy, there're definitly my favourite! :D

8. countrygrl

countrygrl Guest

thanks for asking! it looks like she is getting better. but one thing that has me a little conerned is that when i watch she doesnt come and eat her grain. she just roots around in the vegitation. yesterday i had her in a smaller area w/just another pig, they are pretty much the same size so i figured that there wouldn't be too much competition for her to get food. also i added some water to her grain to make it softer and mushier for her...hope that helps. but all in all she seems to be doing better. the other 5 are doing great! they are doing an excellent job of eating up all the vegitation and looks like they are having a ball!

9. jackie c

From my little experience, she probably likes the vegetation more and if its keeping her full, she may not eat grain until there is no vegetation left. Mine like thier veggies first then their cracked corn. She is just being picky I think.

10. dla

dla Well-Known Member

great scott, a picky pig! :D
    who'd 'a thought! :cool: