Just got my new wood stove...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by barbarake, Jan 15, 2005.

1. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

...well, it's new to me anyway. Best of all - it was free!!!

I've been planning on buying a Jotul wood stove. It's going in an alcove and the Jotul has the lowest allowed clearance. In fact, it's about the only wood stove that would meet code in that space.

Just before Christmas, I was visiting my sister and her fiancee. (Yes, they're officially engaged - she has the 6.5 caret diamond ring to prove it :D ) He has an 8,000 sq.ft. fully-restored pre-civil-war plantation house. General Sherman stayed there at one point. It's a heck of a house - absolutely gorgeous.

Well, I walk into the kitchen and there was this Jotul wood stove!! I was amazed - no one I know has even heard of them!! So we were talking about them and I mentioned that I was planning on buying one. And he offered that one to me!! He wants to make the fireplace back like it was in colonial days and he wants to get rid of the woodstove. Needless to say, I accepted very gratefully.

He brought it to the house today and he and my two sons got it in the house. Geez, it was heavy. They really had to work at it. But it's in the house and I should get it hooked up within a couple of weeks. He's going to bring me all the chimney pipes too.

It was originally bought in 1993 but hasn't been used much. He bought the house in 1996 and it's been used maybe 20 times since then - only 2 or 3 times a year. I need to replace a gasket but other than that, it's perfect!!!

Needless to say, I'm very happy right now!! :D

2. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats on your "new" stove! What a perfect price for a stove and a nice one at that. Many people online say good things about Jotul.

We are thinking hard on getting a wood stove, I am hoping for a Woodstock as I have read nothing but good about them and soapstone. Dont know though as the price is well, pricey.

Your BIL's house sounds wonderful. Does he have land to go with the house? 8,000 sq feet though I cant imagine a house that huge, I might loose my children :haha: or myself.

Mrs whodunit

3. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

A new stove is wonderful, sure you will love it.

Love the giver(s) as much as the gift and all is well.

You are blessed with BIL to be and DS who can and do help with your needs.

You are a lucky duck to be surrounded by such caring and love. It sure is nice to see the best in someone - for a chagne - sometimes it is difficult to see the greatness which is in each of us.

All the best.

Alex

4. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

I do feel lucky. My future BIL is a doll - tall (6'2"), blonde, good-looking, former navel officer - and he's a doctor. He and my sister met through a dating service on the internet. (I kid you not.) I tell my sister that she is just lucky I didn't meet him first. :D Seriously - he's a genuinely nice guy.

Yes, he has land. The house sits on 40 acres. The house - when originally built - was (are you sitting down??) 14,000 sq.ft. It's on the historic registry and I've seen it mentioned in several history books. General Sherman stayed there two nights on his way through South Carolina. It has the original hand-hewn beams, lots of fireplaces, etc. etc. The original kitchen building is still there. A fairly well known gardening lady lived there many years ago and planted hundreds of camillias all around. Huge tree-lined driveway. It's a heck of a house.

5. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We just put Jotul gas stoves ( the QT) in each of my daughter's bedrooms. They are specially made for smaller rooms and are so small and cute. Jotuls do have good reputations and are well made. Hope you like yours.

6. Oregon Too

Oregon Too Active Member

We have the tiny Jotul 602N, white enamel, heating our guest cabin. Its a most excellent wood stove.

Yesterday, the phone co guy came to install a second line. He'd been out in the cold (17 degrees) for over an hour, came up the stairs, and was hit by all the warmth. He took one look at the stove and said "all this heat is coming from that little thing???" I didn't have the heart to tell him that my Jotul was down to glowing chunks of wood coals only, and that if I stuffed it full now, we'd both die from the heat it would produce with a full load. He just kept glancing at it like he couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that yes, this level of warmth was due to that little guy.

Based on this kind of performance, we've bought the much larger Jotul Oslo for the main house we are building. The 602n has a small firebox, so has to be filled a bit more frequently, but its heating around 1000 sf right now, and honestly, we have to be careful not to over fill it, otherwise, we must open a window to let some of the heat out. They really are that good - you are lucky to have one and esp under the circumstance of free! Enjoy it!

7. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Well if it can heat 8000sf it must be one hell of a stove

:D