Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks are not openly panicking.....yet. I'm about 100 miles east of Dallas. I went to Sam's Club today for the same reason everybody else for miles around did....just in case.

There were no flatbed carts available. I had to hike out to the end of the lot to find one. There was no regular bleach left and very few of the scented bleach. No hand sanitizer. There were no big bundles of utility hand towels. They were low on diapers and out of baby wipes.

There was active stocking in every isle. Very low supplies on lots of stuff that doesn't spoil quickly. I waited in line for 40 minutes to check out and they had most of the check out lanes open and all of the self checkout lanes open.

I haven't checked the news since this morning so I'm not sure if there are new developments of not(no time...I need to go get gas cans filled). Folks don't trust the gov to tell them the truth.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have been wondering how folks were reacting over there. When I made my supply run last weekend I saw a few folks obviously shopping along those lines. CVS and Walmart were out of gloves and good masks.

It sounds as if the Dallas Deputy was a false alarm, but I am certain there will be more coming across the border. Those are the ones that scare the crap out of me.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The prevailing sentiment seems to be that folks don't trust the gov to tell the truth.

Seeing what happens to the stores when there is snow or ice forecast....I'd recommend not waiting until the last minute to stock up in case we get another confirmed case. I think at that point it will be pandemonium.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A health care worker that gave care to the infected man has now tested positive. He says that he is not sure how he could have!

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
A health care worker that gave care to the infected man has now tested positive. He says that he is not sure how he could have!
There was a news conference I caught on the morning news...seems this person was involved after the second admission, when they "knew" it was ebola. Not part of the high risk group, but part of the "at low risk for exposure" group. Then there were statements made about decontamination agents being sprayed at the complex where the first guy was. also said there is a pet still in the apartment and they have a plan to deal with the animal. Then I caught something about "wiping down handrails". makes me think this disease spreads much more rapidly than the guberment wants you to think.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd expect widespread panic to be taking over about now. I don't have a TV, so I haven't seen any news reports.

Believe I'll go take a stroll through my preps and update my inventory. Maybe rearrange my priority list on projects a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
I'm not a happy camper. Dallas is like a giant heart, the blood goes in and out a hundred miles a day as folks drive in and out to work.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not a happy camper. Dallas is like a giant heart, the blood goes in and out a hundred miles a day as folks drive in and out to work.
Excellent description whiterock! Folks from here commute to Dallas because they can hop on I-20. It is not at all unusual to hear folks talking about making a shopping trip to Dallas. So I am not at all assuming that distance is going to matter.

I'm having to take a good long hard look at the possibility of not leaving the farm and not letting folks come visit. Sure do wish my preps included a partner. Being single in this situation is a huge handicap.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
There was a news conference I caught on the morning news...seems this person was involved after the second admission, when they "knew" it was ebola. Not part of the high risk group, but part of the "at low risk for exposure" group. Then there were statements made about decontamination agents being sprayed at the complex where the first guy was. also said there is a pet still in the apartment and they have a plan to deal with the animal. Then I caught something about "wiping down handrails". makes me think this disease spreads much more rapidly than the guberment wants you to think.
Handrails…"they" tell us you can't get it from sweat.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Handrails…"they" tell us you can't get it from sweat.
doesn't have to be sweat to be transfered to handrail, unclean hands that have touched other fluids/waste can still transfer to handrails. Read the other day that one should never touch handrails on escalators, way to much contamination and seldom if ever cleaned. even said to take wipes to clean tables at restaurants just in case. really any surface that can be touched is dangerous. wipe down those shopping carts. the wipes are right there. i think that the conveyors should be wiped between customers but what do i know.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guess I'll be a trendsetter. I'm going to start wearing gloves if I have to go to town. Eating out is officially over. Seriously thinking about wearing a face mask as well. I'm sure people will laugh. In the infamous words of Rhett Butler....frankly my dear I don't give a ----!

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
We went to Sam's yesterday and couldn't tell much difference from other Saturdays. Only surprise was the huge case for chicken breasts only had 3 packages in it. If anything, check out lines were shorter.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Guess I'll be a trendsetter. I'm going to start wearing gloves if I have to go to town. Eating out is officially over. Seriously thinking about wearing a face mask as well. I'm sure people will laugh. In the infamous words of Rhett Butler....frankly my dear I don't give a ----!
Yep, No more eating out. :awh: I'm going batty waiting on a couple of checks to get here so I can go out and get more preps. :hair

·
oh, just call me Nicole
4,036 Posts
We went to Sam's yesterday and couldn't tell much difference from other Saturdays. Only surprise was the huge case for chicken breasts only had 3 packages in it. If anything, check out lines were shorter.
I went to Sams in Springfield Saturday and it was packed. I hate crowds and I just about turned around and left but no one was buying up bleach and such. Calm before the storm.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yep, No more eating out. :awh: I'm going batty waiting on a couple of checks to get here so I can go out and get more preps. :hair
Speaking of eating out and panic . . . . and if you haven't had breakfast or will be eating in front of the computer then beware.

Hubby and Son wanted a Sub sandwich at a local store in town. I was picking up items and stopped for them before the big game yesterday.

As I walked in the young man walked out and grabbed a paper town and loudly blew his nose, didn't wash his hands, put on his gloves and got to work making the sandwiches. Yes, I got the sandwiches and as I walked out I said, what am I doing? If this were Ebola or some other virus would I give these to my family?
Yep, I threw them in the trash. Yes, I lost money, but, I also didn't bring it home to my loved ones.
No, I'm done with eating out like many of you.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Speaking of Sam's Club, yesterday's newspaper (10/12/14) included an ad with coupon for a Free 30-day Sam's Club membership. It was either the "Red Plum" or the "Smart Source" insert.

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
Ok think out of the box

Hardware stores often carry

Gloves for paint and chemicals
And many types of masks....for dust and chemicals

Bleach ....pool and sauna supply places.
There are chemical suits at hardware industrial think harbor freight. Mailed to you
Wal-Mart has bleach tablets and can ship them to your door.

Also what about making a sign now.... not later stating no visitors allowed due to weaked immunity due to cancer. Might come in hand some day. See you are not a threat to scare or angry someone nor are you incapable just a person try to prevent infectious issues.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts