just got back from pheasant hunting[recipe

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by little mom, Dec 21, 2003.

1. little mom

little mom Active Member

me and the boy killed 16 pheasants today :waa: .
    never ate one before are they good eating better with
    the skin on or off
    do you know any good recipe
    thanks

2. Marchwind

Marchwind Fiber Arts forum Mod. Supporter

Southwest Michigan by way of the Northwoods of MN
    Pheasant is wondeful but can be dry! It is mostly white meat. Here is a recipe I developed years ago:

Pheasant in a Crockpot

2 Pheasant
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1-2 cans sweet sherry or others sweet wine
    1 can water
    1 teaspoon tarragon
    1 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
    1 teaspoon juniper berries, crushed or brused
    Ground Pepper to taste

Cook 3-5 hours This was an old crock pot that had temp settings I had it at 300 dregees. I would say now try low for 5-8 hours.

Add 1/2 to 1 full jar of red current jelly til melted, thicken juice. Serve with wild rice and mushrooms.

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

WOOHOO GRats!!
    First off, just skin them.. Its easier than trying to hand pull all them feathers without tearing the skin.
    Heres a very easy and tasty recipe

Stuffed pheasant.

Use Stove top stuffing, or wild rice, or whatever "stuffing you like"

Rince birds good removing any meat that is bloodshot bad and any BBs you can find., and place inside a plastic bag, Set in fridge for at least 2 or 3 days to tenderize..

Afterwards, rinse birds well, wipe dry with a soft cloth. Rub salt inside the cavities, stuff with your stuffing. Lace legs together to hold stuffing in.
    Season the outside of the bird as you would for chicken (Season salt, salt and peper work great)
    Lay breast up in a deep dish cassarole dish.
    Lay 2 strips of bacon across the breast of each bird.
    Bake at 325 for about 2 hours, depending on the size of the birds etc...

Chew carefully as BBs will probably be left in the meat.

4. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

I can't tell you from personal experience, but I can tell you that if you do a google search
    ( http://www.google.com ) on "pheasant recipe" you will get a great number of thought starters that look SO DELICIOUS!

5. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

I don't have personal experience either, but I've had conversations with a cousin who loves to eat pheasant. His observations coincide with Marchwind - use a crock pot or an oven bag to cook your bird, with plenty of liquids inside to give the bird extra moisture.

Bon apetit - I've been wanting to taste this myself.

6. Pluck and clean the birds, keep the skin on, they WILL cook better, the meat will be tender, moist and stay together that way.

Try a covered dish with a rack to keep the bird 1/2" off the bottom. You can add a little water, but it shouldn't be necessary. Cook @ 300f for about 2 hrs. It should come out of the oven in one piece, but will fall off the bone when you start picking at it. The soft skin will peal right off the meat, so just give it to the dog if you don't want it.

For seasoning, the quickest is use a dry chicken BBQ seasoning, rub it on the outside and sprinkle some on the inside.

7. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

YUMMMMYY...that is my favorite wild game. I cook pheasant just as I would chicken. It does tend to dry out. I always skin them, it is so much easier. I cut them up and fry them like chicken nuggets, roast them, grill them, crock pot, etc. They make a really good soup too with wild rice. Hope you enjoy them. Lucky you to get that many, they are getting harder to find out here in W PA. Let us know how you liked them. :dance: