Just got a bunny!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kesoaps, Mar 9, 2005.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

We found a mini lop not far from us...a sweet pet bunny. I tried looking on the ARBA site and the mini lop site for breed info, but neither had anything to offer (couldn't get into the mini lop site, even!) Anyone here know much about them? DD has been wanting to have rabbits and I finally broke down (shame on me! Then again...I've got a field full of sheep I just couldn't live without! :haha: )

Anyway, she wants to show at the fair and it would be nice to know if he meets the breed standard. Should she get excited about the bunny business, it sure would be nice to have some info on the different lop varieties so she knows what to look for!

2. Chinclub

Chinclub Well-Known Member

I had the same question about my New Zealand a few days ago. It seems the best way to find out is to go to the ARBA website and buy the book on Breed Standards. I just ordered mine yesterday. Unfortunatly it seems they ship 3rd class. It saves tons on shipping costs, but I think it will take awhile to arrive.

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

When I joined my breed club (Californian Rabbit Specialty Club), they also sent a guidebook with the standard for Cals included, so I imagine that it's the same way w/ other breeds....Oh, just found the site for the mini lop club, it's http://www.tiadon.com/minilop/organiza.htm. Doesn't have much info though and the homepage doesn't work. :no: The Holland Lop site has a lot of info on general rabbit stuff in addition to breed-specific things. I enjoyed it even though Cals are like totally opposite in design and purpose to the Holland.

rabbitgal

4. kesoaps

To be honest, I'm a bit dismayed with the lack of information and informative websites available in the rabbit fancy at this point :no: I tried to do research before buying, but there seems to be so little out there, and very few people (so far, at least) seem truly willing to help. I'm feeling like it's a closed society unless you pony up the money to join a club first.

I wasn't able to find the Holland Lop link on the ABRA site, Rabbitgal, just an email addy. Maybe I'm just searching in all the wrong places. I've never had such a struggle learning about any animal online as I have rabbits! :confused:

5. Chinclub

Chinclub Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I have been hit with the same problem and I don't understand it. I own two of the largest websites for Chinchilla Organizations and it just makes since to put as much info as possible out there for people. I understand the concept of saving some incentives for getting people to join, but it shouldn't be basic care and breeding information. :no:

When I first started researching breeding rabbits the only info I could find was on hobby pet breeder sites and I soon learned that a lot of what I had read was incorrect! So I finally did join the ARBA and my local breeders group. I'd like to join the New Zealand club too, but the membership fees are slowly adding up!

6. kesoaps

Chin, I'm glad I'm not the only one, lol! I was beginning to think it was just me. So now I know...it really is a secret society :cool:

I did find a great site on Lionheads, I must say. Even emailed them to tell them how I appreciated being able to learn about the rabbit before making an uninformed decision.

To me, you do the animal a dis-service by not giving out information ahead of time. Breeders seem to complain about people not having the knowledge needed, but few of them seem willing to part with that knowledge freely. Hence, you get pet store bunnies going into uninformed homes.

I think the rabbit industry could take a lesson or two from many other animal groups out there! I've no clue if the mini lop we just bought comes anywhere close to the breed standard. It would have been nice to know before getting him. He's a pet, but what if DD decides she wants to show him? I've no clue if his color is what it should be, if he's the right weight, or anything.