Just getting started...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by blueyes4203, Mar 20, 2004.

1. blueyes4203

blueyes4203 Guest

I raised rabbits for fun when I was younger, and now would like to breed them seriously for meat sales. Can anyone recommend good books/websites on this matter?
    Thanks...

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Join the arba, for joining they send you a great book on the complete care of rabbits. And you can find breeders through them to.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Click 'homesteadingtoday' and scroll down to the rabbit forum.

I just noticed this is your first post, welcome aboard, there is rabbit info at the bottom group of these forums. Also click just 'homesteading' to go to the Lusenet forum groups, our last home, rabbit stuff there also.

4. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

blueyes4203,

The Professional Rabbit Meat Association @ www.prma.org would be a good place to start. Once you become a member you will receive the newsletter bi-monthly and have access to the PRMA group at Yahoo.com. Two of the best web sites are: www.texasrabbitconnection.com and www.rabbitfarming.com. Texas Rabbit Connection is not just for residents of Texas. FYI: Dean Goforth, The owner of rabbitfarming.com is recovering from major surgery and the forum at the site is in de-bug mode.

I have found these sites to be the most helpful to me. The great people at these sites are always willing to help out the new folks. You'll get advice from some of the most successful rabbit growers and processors in North America. Also, their are members from overseas who share their knowledge.

If you have not checked it out already. look at Raising Rabbits For Profit here at homesteadingtoday.com. "dlwelch" annouces the Thursday Rabbit Pruduction Chat there. Sometimes there is no topic and folks get to chatting about what ever, but if you ask a question you will get an answer. Maybe several!

Hope to see you there.
    Good luck,

Mike