Just found out... New puppy... BARF diet Questions

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by x_xbirdie, Apr 2, 2006.

1. x_xbirdie

x_xbirdie Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, My mother and I are looking into getting a new puppy, becuase well, our neighbor's dogs had yet another litter and we know for a fact that said neighbor drowned the unsold pups last year. We can't deal with that, so we're going to be buying one from him. Pretty mixed breeds, saw them earlier. Cattle dog/ beagle/lab mix. Have the cattle dog spots, but in a beagle pattern.

On the BARF note, we have been feeding store-brand kibble to our other dog since he was a puppy. But now that we have enough room to keep animals for dog food, we'd like to try BARF with the new pup.

:confused: So what goes into BARF diets? :help:

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Lots of raw meaty bones. Some meat without bones. Organ meat (50% liver, some kidney, heart, green tripe, you name it). Eggs. Ground veggies if you want (not necessary). Maybe some kelp or alfalfa for vitamins and minerals. Healthy leftovers from your meals. This is much too large a subject to go into ALL the details you need before starting. Please check out (and download for FREE, if you like) Tom Lonsdale's book Work Wonders (www.rawmeatybones.com -click on WW info). It's a good basic book and should get you started well. If you have specific questions after reading that book or the ones by Billinghurst, Schultze, or any others please ask-I'll try to help. BTW congrats on the pup!

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Try to find a vet who will support you in your decision. I used the Pitcairn book when I had cats and oh-- what a difference! They stopped killing songbirds.

My border collie has been on a natural diet since he was 12 weeks old. I used Billinghurst's book. You'll want to start probably with chicken necks, cooked carrots, and dried fruit. I also sprinkled some vitamin C on my puppies meat two or three times a week just to make sure he was getting enough. Don't give meat that has gone off. If the poorly developed human nose can smell bad meat, it really should be trashed.

I hope those puppies are going to be staying with their mum until they are 8 or 10 weeks old. Since your neighbor doesn't sound like he's particularly responsible, this is doubtful. Puppies leaving "home" early have many problems including inability to housebreak, inability to train, poor social skills with other dogs, separation anxiety and others. If you are taking the puppy too young, make sure it has a dog mentor.