Just found out I have Hashimoto's Disease

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by crashy, Jan 5, 2007.

1. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Ok I go to the doctor on Monday to go to the next step. Does anyone have this disease? Any ideas or suggestions for me?

2. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Most of us don't have a clue as to what your disease is...does it have any other names? Country names?

Could you give us a definition?

3. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

Alternative names Return to top

Hashimoto's thyroiditis; Struma lymphomatosa; Lymphadenoid goiter; Chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis; Autoimmune thyroiditis
    Definition Return to top

Chronic thyroiditis is an inflammation of the thyroid gland that frequently results in hypothyroidism (lowered thyroid function).

Causes, incidence, and risk factors Return to top

Chronic thyroiditis or Hashimoto's disease is a common thyroid gland disorder that can occur at any age, but it is most often seen in middle aged women. It is caused by a reaction of the immune system against the thyroid gland.

The onset of the disease is slow, and it may take months or even years for the condition to be detected. Chronic thyroiditis is most common in women and individuals with a family history of thyroid disease. It is estimated to affect between 0.1% and 5% of all adults in Western countries.

Hashimoto's disease may rarely be associated with other endocrine disorders caused by the immune system. When Hashimoto's disease occurs with adrenal insufficiency and type 1 diabetes, the condition is called type 2 polyglandular autoimmune syndrome (PGA II).

Less commonly, Hashimoto's disease occurs with hypoparathyroidism, adrenal insufficiency, and fungal infections of the mouth and nails in a condition called type 1 polyglandular autoimmune syndrome (PGA I).

Symptoms Return to top

Intolerance to cold
    Weight gain - mild
    Fatigue
    Constipation
    Enlarged neck or presence of goiter
    Small or atrophic thyroid gland (late in the disease)
    Dry skin
    Hair loss
    Heavy and irregular menses
    Difficulty concentrating or thinking
    Additional symptoms that may be associated with this disease:

Weight gain (unintentional)
    Joint stiffness
    Facial swelling
    Note: There may be no symptoms.

Signs and tests Return to top

Laboratory tests to determine thyroid function include:

Free T4 test (low)
    Serum TSH (high)
    T3 (low or normal)
    Thyroid autoantibodies are frequently present:
    antithyroid peroxidase antibody
    antithyroglobulin antibody
    This disease may also alter the results of the following tests:

Radioactive iodine uptake
    Complete blood count
    Total cholesterol
    Serum sodium
    Serum prolactin
    Treatment Return to top

A deficiency of thyroid hormone may develop at a later time. Replacement therapy with thyroid hormone (levothyroxine) is given if the hormone is deficient or may be given if there is evidence of mild thyroid failure (such as elevated TSH), also known as subclinical hypothyroidism. If there is no evidence of thyroid hormone deficiency, treatment may be limited to regular observation by a health care provider.

Expectations (prognosis) Return to top

The outcome is usually very good because the disease remains stable for years or progresses slowly to a condition of thyroid hormone deficiency (hypothyroidism) that can be treated with thyroid replacement therapy.

4. Dorothea

Dorothea Well-Known Member

sounds like you'll just have to take thyroid medicine,,i think my mom's runs about 11.00 a month

5. insocal

insocal Well-Known Member

Thyroid problems run in my BIL's family. His mom has it, he has it, and now my niece also does. Interestingly, all three of them are and always have been SKINNY PEOPLE, and they don't gain weight with the thyroid disease. My BIL runs marathons!

They just don't fit the mold, I guess.

My niece is going in soon to be evaluated for Hashimoto's. Until now they have just said she has low thyroid. She has been on thyroid supplements for a year or two - she is only 22.

Other than that annoyance, they are all very healthy people. The BIL does have essential hypertension.

6. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

I have it and just take high dose thyroid medication. Swallow one pill a day and have a blood test every other month or so to check thyroid levels in case they have to up the dosage. It's something that if you have to have a disease, it's one of the better ones to have because it is not dangerous nor changes your life as long as you take your daily pill.

The down side is that it is not cureable and you will have to stay on the thyroid medication all of your life.

7. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

My mother was found to have this and with meds the womans life changed. My whole life mom ate very little yet she gained and gained. We thought she ate very little in frount of us but bindged in private.
    No, she went to the hospital for a back injury was found to be over weight, malnurished and very anemic.
    10 years later she (if is looking great) The weight lose is amazing. Even thought she in the last 8 years faced 3 different types of cancer-colon, breast, and skin (colon and breast 3 bouts each) she is healther than ever.
    It was hard on her to be on reg. meds at first with the thyroid meds but buy did she improve. She felt so much better she never thought she was ill in comparason to living most of her life unknownly have that illness.
    Glad it is being taken care of. Now when the meds get stable you will have more energy for the birds. If you are heavy now plan on a new set of clothes. She now eats like a normal person and moved from 22 to a 10 in 2 years time eating plenty of good healthy food when once she live on skim milk flavored with coffee. One quart of that a day. From 1964 thur 1996.

8. crashy

I am not heavy but I have put on some weight figured it was the 40's curse.
    I am also glad that its not such a big deal I can take ANOTHER pill LOL

9. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Oh dear! I hope you can get everything straightened out so you feel better soon. How awful for you. I wish I knew something about the disease to give you some info. :(

10. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Right On!!! Welcome to the Hashimoto club! :)

I have this disease I'm told. Diagnosed with it just before Christmas per the blood test, even though I don't seem to have any of the symptoms... I told the doc to just add to my resume of "diseases", and that I was going home. :)

He prescribed synthroid 100mcg tabs. I was supposed to take one tab a day but the dang side effects kicked my butt. Upset stomach, diarrhea, low energy etc. I feel worse on the meds than before the dx. It was so bad I had to drop to 1/2 a tab per day after only three days.

Been doing a little better on the 1/2 pill but the side effects are still present. Went to the doctor today for a follow-up blood draw to recheck.

I keep forgetting the name of the disease and sometimes tell people I have Hiroshima disease... this gets some strange looks. ;) ;)

11. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

I know several people who have Hashimoto's. It's really no big deal, once you've been diagnosed, and if you stay on the treatment. It only becomes serious when it's ignored and untreated.

Treatment is usually just a matter of taking the same hormone that the thyroid gland normally produces, but now doesn't (enough). You'll need blood tests periodically to check your levels and if necessary to adjust the dosage.

12. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Go to the Tropical Traditions website and read what they say about organic coconut oil and thyroid problems.

I can tell you this, from personal experience, the claims they make are true.

It's worth a shot, and at worst, it couldn't hurt.

13. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Nice thing about taking thyroid,the pills are dirt cheap.

BooBoo :gromit:

14. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I don't know if this is exactly the same, but I finally convinced my doc to do some testing for my sluggishness, etc., and found I had an underactive thyroid. He never gave it another name, but prescribed the synthetic hormone. I take the lowest dose of levothroid which runs me $22.95 for 100 pill/days (cash, not insurance). If you get a prescription, check the costs in a couple of pharmacies, because one wanted to charge me 3 times as much.

I don't take any other medicines (should be, but don't like to put them in my system), but this one I'll always take. It sure makes life more interesting compared to the "slug" life previously.

Good luck.
    Ann

15. crashy

I am tired of being tired!!! Actually I am kind of excited to start taking that lil pill the 'slug' life is NOT for me and I am tired of having to push myself to do the simplest tasks.

16. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

crashy,
    You will probably not notice a big difference for several days or a couple of weeks until the stuff builds up in your system. Then you must take it faithfully to keep the level even.
    My stuff should be taken in the morning and at least two hours AFTER food or an hour before. I take it when I first wake up, then either curl back up and/or turnon the early morning news...watch it for awhile, do my in-bed back exercises, then get up and have my tea and toast. Even the dogs know the routine...they get a milk bone when I first wake up then settle back down until it is time to really get out of bed...
    Ann

17. fastbackpony

fastbackpony Well-Known Member

crashy - i can relate, however, after taking the medicine for 13 (at least) years, i am still a bit tired normally (some days VERY tired), and still have some extra weight, that i need to lose. As someone else mentioned, check the price of the prescription at the pharmacy, mine is actually cheaper if purchased without running it thru insurance, and more if they do run it thru. 8/month with insurance, but i ask them to run it without the insurance, and i get 100 days for 12$ - its worth the trouble to save the money, if you ask me.

good luck :)

18. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the club. Have had this for over 20 years, no problems other than each new military health care provider panics when they get the results of my thyroid tests. My sister has it, and our mother has just an underactive thyroid. I think about every female in our family has/had some form of thyroid disease. Take the meds, you'll be fine. Jan in CO

19. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Levothyroxin at Wal Mart -$4 for 30 pills.
    $13.33 for 100 pills.

20. crashy

I am suprised at how many of us have this. I go in tomorrow for my consult and probably my new pill I get to take.
    I tell ya you got to tough to get old!! LOL Shoot!! :dance: