Just found a snake in my coop HELP

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by LiL OHNNL, May 6, 2006.

1. LiL OHNNL

LiL OHNNL Well-Known Member

When out to check the chicks and I see all the birds in the corner. I lookacross the coop and there it is a black snake with a white belly about 4ft but thin enough to fit through the chicken wire. FIRST SNAKE EVER FOR ME . So its half in the coop and half in the empty coop. I go in on the empty side with spiked pole where the tail is. I figured I would stab the tail pull it back and take the shovel to it. Well I got the tail and started to pull it back and he turns and starts going though an unknow hole and exits out the bottem of the coop which is about 18in off the ground. I lose shight of it by the time I get out of the coop and dont know where it is now. Whats the odds of it staying around with a hole in the tail ? Do you think it will take off or stick around for a dinner ? I not about to go and fix the hole not knowing where the snake is. I have to go into some grass and the run where the hole goes to. So what do ya think the snake is?
    Shaken up
    John

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

It won't hurt you although it might eat some of your eggs and possibly some baby chicks. It's just a Black Rat Snake. Hubby found one in our duck's nest that was six feet long a few weeks back. He brought it in the house to show me the two lumps in it's belly (duck eggs) and then he set it loose down in the woods.

I'd rather have a Rat Snake than rats any day.

3. LiL OHNNL

I hear ya but I dont like snakes and the chickens dont either. Also I only have ten about 2 months old 5 died on me already and I wouldnt want to lose any more if I can help it. The others died do to natural causes. Do you think it will hang around? And I dont have eggs yet.

4. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

It's likely to come back if there are baby chicks around. They do scare you but are basically harmless to humans. My DS ran over one with the riding lawn mower today & he's still shaking. He didn't see it & it scared the beejeebers out of him. DH had to go out & finish it off. It'd gotten mangled in the blade.

5. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

There to big to be on his menu if he is only four ft long!Sounds like a harmless black snake.Most likely just keeping the mice in check.As soon as the mice are gone he will be on his way.

6. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

count your blessings to have a black snake around. (Of course you may be one of the people that gets the creeps when they see a snake). Black snakes also keep copperheads at bay. we named the black snake under the porch Mr.Slim. ( the toad that lives in the summerkitchen under the stove goes by the name of Beppo, I know we are silly). snakes will get in your chickenhouse. My mother in law periodically found a copperhead in one of the nests. she would shoot it and sling it over the fence with a hoe.
    I am more worried about weasels.

7. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

They eat rattlers and copperheads .... good to have a couple around.

8. LiL OHNNL

I dont know anything about snakes which scared me at first. I will let him live. If he isnt a problem he can stay. You have to understand where I was at yesterday not knowing what kind of snake he was the size of him and in my coop not a great day. I didnt see him all day today. Thanks for the reasurence.
    John

9. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

LiL OHNNL, Are you in New Salem, Union county, or New Salem, Randolph county?

10. LiL OHNNL

Union county are you close?
    John

11. hassette

hassette Well-Known Member

Had a snake in my laundry room yesterday. DH mowed the lawn Saturday and then took off his shirt to go for a swim. He scooped up his shirt and socks from the pool deck and tossed them into the laundry room. I'm praying that's how the snake got in. If there is some secret snake entrance to my house I'll have to move!! He scooped it up with a shovel and took it outside while I frantically looked up Florida snakes on google. I'm pretty sure it was a corn snake.

12. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

To share our own story with a rat snake...a couple years ago I found one about 4' long in the young guinea cage. Thing is, they can get in though the chicken wire but once they have a couple guinea keats they can't get back out. Anyway, husband and I are also of the opinion that the good deeds of a rat snake outweigh the bad deeds of a rat snake so we took him out and turned him loose. There is no way of knowing if it was the same snake or not but last summer, there as a 6-7' rat snake in with the guinea keats -- this batch was a little older and a littler larger then the year before...and apparently rat snakes attempt to swallow the birds head first and in the process smother them...and if they birds are too large they just keep trying until they get one the right size -- wiped out 1/2 our keats.

This time Husband relocates the rat snake....as luck would have it it was in the same area where someone else had relocated (dumped) two dogs...as we already had more then we need in way of dogs, husband thought it best to not even asked me about taking on two more...a couple days later I notice he has canned dog food in his truck...turns out he's stopping on his way too and from work checking on these two dogs...next day one of them had made it up to the highway and had gotten killed by a vehicle...needless to say that is how we ended up with Lucky Boy.....I can't wait to see how I'm going to react to the next rat snake....but hopefully the new keat cage will be completed so I won't have to concern myself.

Hugs
    marlene

13. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

No, I'm in Randolph county.

14. Goldwave

Goldwave Active Member

Snakes don't like certain plants; one of them is lemongrass, which is a tropical plant but if that won't grow where you're at you could try another lemon-scented plant (the chemical compounds are likely to be similar and hopefully effective). I also know a lot of creatures are hinky about moving over crumpled aluminum foil, but don't know if snakes feel that way about it....