Just For Fun

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by John Schneider, Jun 28, 2006.

1. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Hello...I just wanted to let you all know about my new Blog. I am going to attempt to maintain a diary of "a year in the life of our farm". There is no hidden agenda to this...I just thought it would be entertaining to some people to see how I farm...worth a laugh or two at least! I know that I would love to see how other people farm and I am sure that I could learn many things from others' comments and practices. It should be fun and I hope you enjoy it!

The website for my blog is www.goldforestfarms.blogspot.com

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

John - To quote SNOWBALL from the movie STUART LITTLE 2, ...................
    "Ya got spunk!..Ya got moxy!...Ya got spunk AND moxy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Look forward to learning with you.

3. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

John-very professional, almost elegant looking with the color and typeset-Is it okay to use elegant and farming in the same sentence?

4. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

:p There HAVE been times I have fed in a fur coat, Manolo shoes and diamonds....so I say yeah.

5. John Schneider

Yes, I thought it looked a little 'old school' with that script etc. You should get some good entertainment soon as I just traded two female llamas and two Large Black gilts for a bred Galloway cross heifer. I am picking up the heifer on Friday and this will be my first ever cow! She is due to calve any time now so this ought to be interesting! We also have some building projects and field clearing and fencing projects planned for this year.

6. Abouttime

Great John, can't wait-speaking of entertainment...since I can't walk outside without getting beyond dirty, how about some pictures SavingGrace of feeding in Manolos!

7. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Manolos schmanolos--I wanna see the diamonds!

Nice site John! I am studying the poultry section right now. Thanks!

8. savinggrace

Sorry, no pics...each time it was a last minute 'oh shoot what if they don't have enough food/water....as we were rushing out-5 min already late to whatever event it was. Yeah, like my obese animals would expire before the morning! :rolleyes:
    And I would surely arrive to the event, perfumed with yve st lauren's babydoll and a hint of eau de chickyandhorseypoo! :dance:

Recently I had a charity golf outing to attend. I was pretty much on target with time, (as I said, I am consistantly 5 min late to everything) and I just HAD to stop in the barn to be sure everyone had water. I was wearing a white polo shirt, navy cashmere sweater vest, white skirt and white sandals.
    I had to fill two waterers. In the process 4 chicks, 6 wks old escape, and I have to chase, catch them and put them back. Not too bad. I am only 3 min late at this point.

WIthout noticing, I ended up with my shoe pooed on.

I get to the golf outing, get in the cart with another school mom, (*just so you know, I am the only mom at the school with a farming habit. A few have horses kept at fancy schmancy boarding facilities-they mostly live in sterile suburban houses with chem lawns) Anyhow, while admiring my new outfit she notices the poo on my shoe!

OMG! :eek: THERE IS DUCK POO ON YOUR SHOE! I'm thinking ok I will just wipe it off in the grass. She insisted I go back to the club house, wash my shoe, which will then get it totally wet and I will have to dry it with a hand dryer?
    While I am in the bathroom, thinking how silly this is, I overhear my friend admonishing the lady at the desk in the clubhouse about how they really need to control the ducks around that place, that my shoe is probably ruined as a result....blah blah blah....

It's JUST a little poo. No big deal! :shrug:

We got free drink tickets-so I silently tosted to my chickens!

9. Abouttime

Too funny-I didn't realize you could have a social life once moving to the farm!

10. Up North

Savinggrace this whole Escalade, sorry I mean Escapade sounds like taking Audrey Hepburn out of the old Humphrey Bogart film SABRINA and dumping her on the greens in Rodney Dangerfield's CADDYSHACK.

11. Ranchermom

Ranchermom Sam at the Pecan Ranch

Looks good I made a comment in your section. Look forward to reading more.

Sam

12. Up North

Saveinggrace, now we will have to come up with a good cover story just in case you accidently go to an event with a little pig poo on your shoe. Mmmm, what should we say? :shrug: LOL

I bet I can safely say that we have all run into the barn quick with our sunday best on to check on a critter quick.

Heather

13. savinggrace

:shrug: Happens to the best of us, right? :p

14. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Too funny savinggrace! Heather, I doubt we'd make it out of the driveway with pig poo on our shoes! Not with the windows rolled up...

15. John Schneider

I tried uploading from home over the weekend...impossibly slow. So, I just did some early morning blogging from work to catch up on my farming diary. We had a rather busy weekend. Happy Independance Day to our friends to the south.

16. Abouttime

John, do the pigs turn lighter as they age-from your blog it seems like they do? Bubbles is a great name for your new guy.