Just do not have a green thumb this year!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., May 5, 2005.

  1. So far just about every seed I've planted has done nothing but set in the dust. We are not getting our spring rains this year. We are only getting about a inch of rain every 10 days or so. Only about a third of my peas and green beans came up. My transplants, cabbage and brocollie is only about twice the size they were when I transplanted them into the garden and are already putting on small heads about 2 inches in diameter and ready to pick. Then to top all that off we got a frost for 3 days in a row which caught me off gaurd the first morning and killed about a 3rd of my tomatoe plants. We've had 50 and 60 degree nights since the middle of January and all of a sudden it decides to get cold enough to frost. :soap:

    I can't justify the expense of running the well pump to water my huge gardens plus I would have to buy about 1000' of garden hose to reach some of them. So today I'm going to retill some of my gardens and try to replant some things in hope and prayers that rain will come to my area of the world.
     
  2. whiterock

    whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    3,800
    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2003
    Location:
    South of DFW,TX zone 8a
    I feel and share your pain. Throw in a hail storm for good measure.
     

  3. bgak47

    bgak47 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    936
    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2003
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah r.h, it's been pretty dry & cool here. We need some rain!
     
  4. sylvar

    sylvar Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    388
    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2004
    I am there with you....Different set of problems in this part of the country, but the same outcome.

    Shane
     
  5. Mid Tn Mama

    Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    6,395
    Joined:
    May 11, 2002
    I'm so sorry to hear this. We have rainbarrels that we run hoses to drip hoses in the garden--really saves on water. We use a lot of mulch so that really helps on reducing the need to water. How much organic matter do you add to your soil?
     
  6. Cyngbaeld

    Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

    Messages:
    28,248
    Joined:
    May 20, 2004
    Location:
    SE Missouri
    Well, RH I would love to **** the clouds over there! It has been raining buckets here. My neighbor has tomatoes two feet tall with thick stalks setting tomatoes already. I couldn't believe it when she showed me today. What is WITH the weather?!
     
  7. southerngurl

    southerngurl le person Supporter

    Messages:
    6,244
    Joined:
    May 11, 2003
    Location:
    Arkansas
    I so feel your pain! I've had frost, and just general cold yicky weather, my ducks ate my corn seed 3 times, pulled my pepper transplants, ate my bean seeds, got really hot yesterday and killed a bunch of my transplants that were outside not yet planting in the garden, my okra never came up, and the DUCKS the stupid ducks! They are going into a pen in the morning, I usually hate to pen stuff up, but I am going to laugh evily, and throw away the key.

    :bash:

    I've really been feeling frustrated and a bit down the last couple of days, it is nice to know I am not alone.
     
  8. GrannyG

    GrannyG Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    5,323
    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2005
    Location:
    near Abilene,TX
    Been dry here,too, or the ground may just be cold. Have to replant okra and black-eyed peas this week. We did manage to get 7/10 inch of rain, but we are still below what we should have this time of year.
     
  9. They said on the local news this evening that we are 4 inches below normal on rain for this time of year. Today I retilled some areas of my garden where nothing or very little came up and the ground was just almost bone dry all the way down as low as my tiller will reach. Before I started tilling I placed the seeds that I was planting in a bowl and soaked them in water for a few hours to help give them a head start. Then after planting I went on ahead and run all my garden hoses as far as they would reach and then went to my aunt and borrowed her garden hose and managed to reach my garden and used a sprinkler to saturate the garden as much as possible. Hopefully this will give them a head start till we finally do get some rain. However the weather man said we will not see rain till Sunday evening and today he said it was a 40% chance. Yesterday it was a 60% chance, so I figure it will be like the last several predictions. They start out 60 and 70 percent at 6 or 7 days away but by the time the day gets here it's only a 10 percent chance and we usually don't get nothing.
     
  10. Forgot to mention. We aren't even having tornadoes yet!! (praise the lord) Usually by this time of the year we've already had a town or two blown away!
     
  11. whiterock

    whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    3,800
    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2003
    Location:
    South of DFW,TX zone 8a
    rh did you get any rain this wekend? I got a shower this morning before sunrise and another heavier rain just about dark. Don't know how much yet.
    Ed
     
  12. :haha: Yes, we got rain today!!!! Yippeee!!!! It didn't start till about 9 this morning. I wasn't sure if it was going to rain or not so I stepped out to move my sprinkler to another garden area and as I was doing that it started sprinkling. About a hour later it was rainning good. And, we are suppose to get some more tomorrow morning again.

    Maybe I'll have a garden after all. This evening I walked along the edge of my tater patch and seemed like they all most doubled in height just since it rained this morning. They was very thirsty.
     
  13. whiterock

    whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    3,800
    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2003
    Location:
    South of DFW,TX zone 8a
    The paint is missing from the bottom of my guage but I estimate .7"
    On my rock that is as good as 2".
     
  14. bgak47

    bgak47 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    936
    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2003
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    We didn't get any rain here in central OK yesterday. I have a small garden so I'm able to water it, & it actually seems to be doing fairly well even though some of the nightime temps have gotten into the low 40s & the daytime highs have been below normal. The lawn is nice & green, even though I haven't been watering it. It has been growing slower than usual for this time of year. I've only had to mow every other week. That's a plus at least! Good luck with the garden RH. We'll get some rain; I just hope it doesn't come all in a couple of weeks with severe storms & tornados. :)