Just curious.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Upham, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had two boars. One developed this rupture type thing out of its rectum. It didn't look like its intestines. The size was about the diameter and length of a 12oz. soda can. We couldn't help it so it ended up in the freezer. Does anyone have any ideas of what could have happend?
    He still has the other one and it's pretty big (800 lbs.)but he never had its testicles removed. Some one told me it would'nt be any good for eating anymore. Is this true?
    It doesn't matter because it's his pet and he won't eat it. I'm just intrested for my own future reference.
    Upham

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sounds like a prolapse to me- depending on how long it was protruding it may have looked like a brown wet paper bag crumpled up (how's that for a visual?). About the other boar, I've read in this forum that an adult male can be castrated and with time wil be okay to eat. I read it takes about two months for the testosterone level to decrease- I'd wait more. Of course castrating a boar that size will require ingenuity. On the flip side, I've also read some people mention that boar meat has a different but decent flavor to them. No one I know personally raises boar for eating but to each his own. What was the size of the one he butchered?

3. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

I would guess it was about 400 lbs. He didn't raise them to eat they are his pets.

4. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Nothing to add. Just concur.