Just curious, are hypoglycemia and diabetes the same thing?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Fla Gal, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Mitch just told me hypoglycemia and diabetes are the same thing. I've always been told they're two ends of the spectrum of the blood sugar count.

I thought some experienced people here could give some input on this so I don't have to google it. Any thoughts or information on the subject?

2. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

NO. They are not the same thing.

Google it would get you more accurate info though. Just a suggestion.

3. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

in diabetes, the islets of langerhorn in the pancreas does not produce enough insulin to handle sugars and refined carbs. It is also a degenerative disease that impacts many other systems. If sugars are handled better, the effects of the disease on other systems can be less. However, with type I, there is still significant damage to other body systems. Often, insulin and other medications are required for management of the disease. (My mom had this.)

In hypoglycemia, your body OVER produces insulin. It can usually be controlled simply by eating a diet that does not trigger the over production of insulin (avoiding simple carbs, eating small meals frequently, and avoiding sugars.) Dh has this. There is some evidence that hypoglycemics are at risk for diabetes later in life if the hypglycemia is not managed properly.

There is a third category, which I don't really understand, that is called insulin resistence. It is used as an indicator for risk of diabetes. I don't really understand the difference between this and hypoglycemia. :shrug:

Cindyc.

4. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

No they are not I have Hypoglycemia but I do not have Diabetes. If you are a Diabetic though you can get hypo/hyperglycemia. Hypoglycemia is low and Hyper being the high I have to eat regular meals to control it. I guess some Diabetic's are the same way.

5. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

Diabetes is the result of Hyperglycemia which is high blood sugar. Hypo is low blood sugar and they are not the same. A diabetic has high blood sugar and medicates for it with insulin. Too much insulin or activity or both can make a diabetic go low (hypo) So a diabetic will experience both ends of it. There are some people who just suffer from low blood sugar and are not diabetic. At some point and time they could develop diabetes. I am a type one diabetic so I have both highs and lows often. I would do a search on the subject and see what you get. The info I gave you is to the best of my knowledge.
    susie

6. dragonfly1113

type 2 diabetics have insulin resistence. it means their bodies make the insulin but for some reason the body does not use the insulin correctly and the body becomes resistant to the insulin and the persons blood sugar runs high. (again I am no expert, just what I have heard. I know more about type one than type 2)

7. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

My grandmother had low blood sugar....and lived to be nearly 90..and still had low blood sugar when she died...and I have low blood sugar. I have always had it...hypoglycemia. I have to be careful and not eat much sugar or it makes me feel awful afterwards. I keep almonds in my purse if I feel like my blood sugar is dropping. I don't know why...but milk helps control mine...or yogurt....if I am hungry in the middle of the afternoon and get that low blood sugar headache I drink a glass of milk or eat a container of yogurt.
    I have heard that if you don't take care of your diet with hypoglycemia...you can later become diabetic because you stress your pancreas out and it stops doing what it is supposed to do. I am definitely not an expert though!!!

8. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

In hypoglycemia and diabetes both, the body is not keeping the blood sugar well regulated.

With hypoglycemia, the body allows the blood sugar to drop too low. Then with most people, the body craves food and the blood sugar gets too high. Then, the body reacts to the too high blood sugar by dropping it too low AGAIN....Hypoglycemia very often goes before diabetes.

In fact, the early stages of diabetes are like hypoglycemia with OOPH!

Later on, as the diabetic's body produces less and less insulin the blood sugar can ALWAYS be high, but, in the early stages of diabetes some very low blood sugars can occur. That is one reason why diabetics are ordered to eat between-meal snacks: to avoid those lows.

The diet for hypoglycemia and diabetes are the same, by the way. Since the body cannot provide a steady release of sugar to the blood, the patient EATS a steady supply of nourishment to even the blood sugar out.

MOST type 2 diabetics start as hypoglycemics, and the diabetes sets in when the body has more and more blood sugar highs and fewer and fewer lows.

9. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

Along these lines, I recently had 2 blood tests that showed my blood sugar to be 112 the first time, and 117 the next. Both after fasting. The doc said the high end of normal is 100 and although mine is not terribly high, wants to test me again in 6 months.

I've always experienced times when I would get a headache and get grumpy and know I have to eat to feel better - immediately. My mom always said I am hypoglycemic. Does that sound right?

My sister had jeuvinile diabetes. My grandmother lived to be 102 and was stage 1 diabetic as long as I remember. Controlled it with diet. The doc keeps an eye on my sugar because of that history.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Penny

10. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Yea, type one and type two diabetes are two very different things.

Type one can be genetic. It usually presents before age 20, and as such is also called Juvenile onset. It can also be caused by a virus that attacks the pancreas in families with no history of diabetes at all. It can really cause a lot of devastation to the body.

It should be noted that an overgrowth of fungi can present with high blood sugar levels that look a lot like type two diabetes. I have a friend that did a candida cleanse after a positive test for diabetes, then retested. The second test was negative.

The "insulin resistance" language is new. They didn't use those words when my mom was alive, so that is why I really don't know anything about that. I have also heard it called "pre-diabetes". :shrug:

Cindyc.

11. Terri

Yes, that sounds liky hypoglycemia.

Remember that lean protien is your friend, and don't let anybody put you on a low-fat diet because it ends up with you eating too many carbs.

Frequent snacks, chicken, fish, and moderate servings of carbs does help.

In other words: A moderate serving of spagetti WITH MEATBALLS is a good meal.

A large serving of VEGETARIAN spaggetti with lots of bread sticks is NOT good: it can make you sleepy in one hour and set you up for low blood sugar in two.

12. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a moderate serving of spaghetti and meatballs, and you have hypoglycemia as in the above post, it helps if the spaghetti is whole wheat. I'm one of those hypoglycemics who 35 years later became a diabetic. And I don't really know why as I've almost never eaten sweets and I hadn't eaten simple carbs (potatoes, white bread, white rice) in a very long time, at the advice of the doctor. Also, I can't eat sweet potatoes or yams, but most diabetics can. I was one who for 30+ years had nuts in my pocket! I was thin always and ate vegetables and lean protein. Go figure. And have had no known relative w/diabetes ever. Maybe it's the UNKNOWN relatives who mess with our DNA! I'm not able to control glucose levels with diet and exercise, tho' I tried for a long time. I exercised for work or went to the gym almost daily for 40 yrs. I went to school in nutrition and never expected this could happen in a million years. So I take the rx faithfully and feel much better. My doctor refused to test me for 6 years; I knew there was a problem, and I didn't know what exactly. He told me they'd do the glucose when I weighed 100 more lbs. After 6 yrs., his nurse just gave me a monitor to use. She knew my educational background and kindly didn't think I was a whiner. The rest is history! My memory is getting much better! I was having a lot of symtoms before. With hindsight, I should have gone to another dr. This one is an expert with NIH for a genetic problem I have, so I thought he would know. Wrong! Even w/ the rx, I have to eat a lot of whole carbs to keep my blood sugar steady (with the protein). I test a lot. I mix brown rice, whole wheat kernals, and pinto beans as a constant side dish. Hope this helps someone else! (But this didn't help me much before the rx; I tried).

13. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Watch out for that spaghetti and meatballs. When I was pregnant both times I had gestational diabetes (which is really insulin resistance) and one of the very worst foods for causing high blood sugar for me was spaghetti sauce. Made from scratch it might not be so bad, but check the label on the stuff in a jar -- it contains a LOT of sugar.

I get terrible reactions from low blood sugar, and it sneaks up on me. I had it just a couple hours ago. I get weak and shaky then I crave everything under the sun just to get the feeling to go away -- I eat good food but it doesn't work fast enough so I end up topping off with something sugary. Then after I stop feeling shaky, I get sleepy because the sugar got too high. Trouble is it doesn't always happen -- some days I can eat hardly anything at all but feel fine. I've noticed that when I don't eat or drink sugar at all, my levels don't bottom out. Therefore if I know I'm going to be someplace where I can't snack mid-morning, I'm better off not eating breakfast at all.

14. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

You all make me feel better. For years I have told doctors that I am hypoglycemic - at times it can get so bad that I pass out - now, years later, I have learned to recognize these symptoms. I honestly feel that certain perservatives trigger a low blood sugar. I drink a lot of milk, eat a lot of milk products and protein (meat, fish, or soy) but even though I control it with diet - there are times when diet does not work and I have to "pump the sugar" in order not to black out and yes, it makes me feel terrible and sometimes very tired. But I have noticed a routine - if I eat a bigger meal, right after, say 30-45 mins. I am so tired it is not funny - that is when I hit the caffine (which is not good). If I eat a little bit all through the day and stay away from big sugar (candy, cake with tons of icing) I can go all day and half the night. I do best to eat a lot of fruit and some form of protein with moderate carbs..... I do best when I eat what I raise and stay away from store bought stuff..... but that is hard to do all the time.
    My DH says I'm "borderline" - not sure what that is suppose to mean.

15. olehippy

olehippy Well-Known Member

I am also hypoglycemic, but do not have diabetes. I was diagnosed when I was around 22 years or so. I watch my diet and eat high protein (20 - 30 grams) every 4 hours. As long as I do this I am pretty stable. I cannot get hungry or I get completely irrational and mean. My dh can tell in a moment if I need to eat.

16. olehippy

17. olehippy

[QUOTE=BasicLivingAny thoughts?

Thanks,
    Penny[/QUOTE

Here are a few symptoms of hypoglcemia you can watch for:

nervousness
    exhaustion, weakness
    faintness, dizziness
    tremors, cold sweats
    drowsiness
    forgetfulness, confusion
    constant worrying, unprovoked anxiety
    craving for sweets, alcohol
    heart palpitations, rapid pulse
    indecisiveness
    lack of coordination
    lack of concentration
    muscle twitching, jerking
    sighing, yawning
    irrability
    depression
    headaches
    insomnia
    interanl trembling
    numbness
    crying spells
    leg cramps
    blurred vision
    itching crawling skin sensation
    unconsciousness

Of course not everyone will have all of the symptoms & they will vary from person to person. I have almost everyone when I don't take care of myself.

18. Terri

That tired feeling you get after a big meal is HIGH blood sugar. For those who have not been there, done that, it is like the feeling you get after Thanksgiving dinner.

Basically, your body is not doing a good job of regulating your blood sugar. Smaller meals and lots of snacks are good for this.

And, if I am going to over-eat, I have found that it is better to make the extra food meat. My body handles the protien better than the carbs.

When the hypoglycemia gets worse, it often gradually becomes diabetes. Since you get sleepy after a big meal, you likely ARE borderline diabetic.

19. mainer

mainer Well-Known Member

i'm hypoglycemic & have learned to control it by eating correctly & eating 6 times a day. You do have to be very aware of what to eat,but that comes with trial & error. Yes,you do know when you aren't eating right as soon as you start to feel"off".With me,I get a "motor-mouth" & can't stop talking,then I get blurred vision,if not taken care of at that point,is "lights out"!
    My friends call me "hobbit" because I'm always ready for the next meal!! lol

20. dragonfly1113