Just Butchered

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dawndra, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

We just butchered our goat. We had a saanan or sannan ( however you want to spell it... yummy is what I call him now!) We got 32 pounds of meat. I've only tasted the hamburger... WE LOVE IT!!

Here's the breakdown of what we got....

5 roasts
    15 steaks
    12 # hamburger patties

We just bought 1 to try this year... next year we'll buy a few more, we think. We won't wait this long to butcher them, though... the little bugger was FAT!!! I was amazed at the amount of fat on him.

2. How old? How much at live weight? Is it similar to venison?

3. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

9 months old.... Live weight around 140# we're guessing... and it tastes more like REALLY young deer kinda...closer to beef, I think... Velvetty smooth! We're going to have a roast Tomorrow.....

4. What about the organ meat....? heart liver? Tongue. I dont mean to sound gross but these things are relished by many older folks. We have goats and want to learn more about harvesting them. Thanks for info!

5. Brian        N.E Ohio

Brian N.E Ohio Well-Known Member

Did you have to add fat to the burger? If so what kind of fat, beef ?

6. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

we didn't save any of the organs. I have issues with eating liver... it's a filter for toxins... anyway... we just used the meat.

We cut it with beef tallow..5:1 5 lbs of goat to 1 lb of fat. I might put in a little bit more fat next time... and we ground it twice.

7. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Goat is actually a lean meat, not fatty like lamb. I find it a tad more flavorful then beef. Most people treat goat like lamb when they are preparing it though I treat it like beed. I agree with the post about the liver, and don't eat it anymore (but love liver). I feed all the entrails and organ meat to the dogs (if we are doing several goats and lambs then I package it up and freeze it to be given to the dogs later) this also goes for legs and the head. The tongues are rather small so it would take several <smile> perhaps pickling them. The hides I tan, though you could shave the fur off, cut into strips; tie in knots and dry for the dogs as you would do the ears unless of course you are raising La Manchas...<chuckle>

Most of the fat I have had has been attached to the organs and when I grind up the meat to make sausage I also add pork which gives me my fat. If I am using it or hamburger I do not add the fat, though you could add the fat from the goat.

Nothing goes to waste.

I don't harvest my meat, I harvest my vegetables. I remember when we used the word slaughter, then we started saying butcher, then cull and now harvest? ey yi yi!

8. Too funny! Just trying to be politically correct in a public place.....here at home we say whack and pack actually! Sometimes we do use a butcher but he charges alot. We harvest vegies too...what the goats cant steal. Slaughter reminds me of the dirty slaughterhouse up the road that went out of business because of poor sanitation.

Speaking of using everything. What of using blood on the garden? Blood meal is kind of expensive. Just a thought..... Then one could HARVEST some nice vegies from fertile ground!

9. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

my BIL pours chicken blood on his horseradish... it's some of the hottest stuff you have seen!

We feed the innards & bones & hides to the dogs... nothing goes to waste here either...

We process them ourself. It's way cheaper! the only cost is of the baggies & freezer paper! We also process our deer, too. We did a cow last year, but usually we send them in to be done... that's a BIG job!

10. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Blood... ok you could of course put it in your garden* (see bottom of page), feed it to your dogs or...Some meals in which the main ingredient is blood.

blood sausage

Also known as blood pudding and in Ireland as black pudding , this large link sausage is made of pig's blood, suet, bread crumbs and oatmeal. Almost black in color, blood sausage is generally sold precooked. It's traditionally sautéed and served with mashed potatoes.

Black Pudding (Blood Pudding)

1 qt. Pig’s blood
    3/4 lb. bread crumbs
    1/2 lb. suet
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1 qt. milk
    1 c. cooked barley
    1 c. dry oatmeal
    1 oz. powdered mint

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, pour into a large pan and bring to a boil. Pour in a wide shallow bowl and season again if necessary. When cold it may be cut into slices and fried.

Blood Pudding

Blood pudding is more like a brownie than pudding. It isn't gooey or slimy or pudding-like at all. It's spiced, cooked hog or cow blood, mixed with flour and milk, that comes in a rectangular box. You can take this block of hardened blood out of the box, slice it, and fry it like breakfast sausage.
    If you smelled its spicecake aroma while it cooked, you'd probably want to try a bite. This straight-edged meatless meat might even turn into one of your favorites.

Black Pudding (Main)
    10 cups Pig blood
    5 lb well dried course wholemeal
    1/2 liver and 1/2 heart of pig, well cooked and minced
    1 lb pork scraps, cooked and minced
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup allspice
    1 grated nutmeg
    1/4 cup salt

Put the blood, minced meat, liver and heart, into a large basin. Add the salt
    and spices to the dried wholemeal and mix all into the blood and meat. It has to
    be rather soft, batter-like mixture; if it is too thick to pour int othe skins
    through the funnel, add some of the (hot) water in which the meat scraps (not
    the liver) have been cooked. The pudding skins should be cut into lengths about
    a yard long and one end tied securely. The mixture should be put into the skins,
    leaving a little room at the end before tying in the middlelike a figure 8. Put
    into boiling water and simmer gently for an hour, keeping them moving in the pot
    by stirring with a long- handled spoon. A wide-neck funnel is needed to get the
    mixture into the skins.

Black Pudding - Co. Kerry:
    5 cups pig's or lambs blood
    pearl barley
    oatmeal
    onions
    bacon scraps
    milk
    seasonings (salt, pepper, mace, sage, cinnamon- just a pinch of each)

Heat up the blood in a bowl with egg beaten, cut onions small and boil with
    pearl barley. Put bacon scraps in a saucepan and render until brown. Add all,
    both scraps and fat, to blood. Then add all other ingrdients and enough milk to
    make a wet mixture. Put the mixture in a heavy greased saucepan. Bring to a
    boil, stirring all the time, as it burns easily. Then push to the side of the
    fire for a few hours. Turn out, leave to cool, then roll out with the hands to
    convenient sized puddings.

Black Pudding - Galway:
    1/2 gallon freashly drawns sheep's blood
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/2 lb oatmeal
    2 teaspoons pepper
    1 teaspoon spice
    1/2 lb chopped suet
    1 or 2 chopped onions
    freashly chopped herbs

Add salt, meal and spices to the blood and leave until the next day. Then add
    chopped suet, onions, and herbs. Mix well and turn into well greased bowls.
    Steam for about 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally at the beginning. May be eaten
    hot or cold.

Black Pudding - Tipperary:
    10 -12 cups pig blood (salted and stirred as soon as drawn)
    small intestines
    1/2 cup ground allspice
    1/4 cup ground white pepper
    salt to taste
    1 freashly grated nutmeg
    2 teaspoons thyme
    dash cayenne pepper
    1 cup white bread crumbs
    3/4 cup wholewheat flour

Clean the intestines thouroughly under running water and then turn them inside
    out and scrape off the fat. Boil the fat in 10 cups of water or pork broth until
    cooked. strain off hte fat and mince. Keep the cooking liquid.
    Beat the blood and put it through a sieve. Put the bowl of cooking liquid over a
    basin of hot water. Add all other ingredients, and stir well. Fill the mixture
    into the casing with the aid of a funnel. (Do not overfill. Allow for expansion
    and prick the casing.) Put int oa sauce pan of cold water, bring to a boil and
    simmer very gently for one hour.
    Cut into thick slices and cook gently on both sides, either in a little bacon
    fat or melted butter.

Duck Blood:
    1 3/4 cups duck or goose blood
    salt and freash ground pepper
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    2/3 cup freash milk
    2 tablespoons butter

Sprinkle the blood with a little salt and leave in a cool place overnight. Next
    day put it into a heavy-bottomed saucepan with the onion, milk and an a lump of butter. Season with salt and freashly ground pepper. Cook on low heat for about 20 minutes or until the mixture thickens and becomes similar to the texture of a soft scrambled egg. Eat warm with brown bread and butter as a spread.

Goose Pudding:
    blood from one goose
    skin from goose neck (optional)
    1 cup finely chopped onions
    3 tablespoons butter
    1/3 cup breadcrumbs
    1 cup porridge oats
    3/4 teaspoons salt
    1 flat teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon mixed spice
    1 level teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 goose liver, chopped

Sweat the onions in hte butter over low heat. Put the breadcrumbs and oats into a bowl. Add salt, pepper, mixed spice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Then add onions and blood; mix and break up well. Stir in the chopped liver and mix again. Cook a tiny bit of hte mixture and check for seasoning.
    If using hte goose neck, turn it inside out and fill loosely with the mixture to
    allow for expansion. Knot the narrow end and sew the wide end to secure it
    tightly. Alternatively, fill the mixture into a pudding bowl, cover with a tight
    fitting lid or a double thickness of wax paper and tie as for a steamed pudding.

Bring a saucepan of cold water to a boil and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Prick the
    gooseneck pudding with a needle and add to the saucepan of boiling water. Bring back to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 1 to 1.5 hours on very low heat with the lid on, pricking during the cookingtime also. If using a bowl, steam the pudding for 1.5 hours in a covered saucepan. Pudding will keep for a week or can be frozen. Cut in thick slices and fry in butter.

Drisheen:
    bag of lamb's intestines
    20 cups sheep blood
    1 1/4 cup freash creamy milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Clean the intestines thouroughly under running water and then turn them inside
    out. Mix four cups of the blood with the milk and salt. Tie the ends of the
    casing (intestines) tightly the, using a funnel, full them with the mixture and
    pressout the air, leaving space for expansion. Cook the filled casings in warm
    salted water slowly. Be sure to keep the casings below hte water as they tend to rise. As soon as the water boils, turn off the heat. Serve with butter and
    bread.

These recipies came from:
    The Complete Book of Irish Country Cooking by Darina Allen. Available from
    Penguin Books ltd.

and then I was wondering..if Deer testicles were used as an aphrodisiac in the late 1600's, would goat testicles be considered the same?

*blood is forbidden to be eaten in both the old testament and the Koran. In Deuteronomy it says "pour it upon the earth as water" because Blood is Life.

11. It's great when a person can get so much info. in one place. Personally I dont think that I have had the blood of anything to eat. Anythings worth a try! And it is in the spirit of being consceintious and using every little thing.

Thanks for sharing!

12. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I have 2 (1 for me, and 1 for a friend) born & raised by ourselves that will be going to the butcher as soon as deer season is over. I wouldn't even attempt to do it myself. The butcher will come and get them, take them 1 mile and cut and grind - whatever needs done. I've had some deer done and get special rates (we're friends) so would assume will get a discount for the goats too. Some fresh goatburger sounds good!

13. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I'm cooking up a pot roast for supper... smells YUMMY!!

14. Swampdweller

Swampdweller Well-Known Member

Blood is about the richest source of organic nitrogen there is.
    Best to soak it up with sawdust so no nitrogen is lost to the open air.
    Blood is actually best as a compost pile enhancer.
    I've not eaten it, but I'd bet it's tasty properly done.
    The verse in the Bible pertaining to not partaking of meat with blood in it actually has a much deeper meaning. It has to do with covetouness.
    Meat is substance, as the original text goes. It refers to the products of labor.
    Blood is life. The meaning of the verse is, do not partake of substance that has life in it, in other words, accept nothing that has been forcefully taken from the laborer who produced it. A verse that ties in with this is found in Proverbs; "When thou sittest to eat with a ruler (king, president, governor, etc.) put a knife to thy throat if thou be a man given to appetite. Do not partake of his dainties, for they are deceitful meats."
    Deeper meaning; if you accept the benefits that government offers, benefits that the government has extracted from your neighbor by threat of force (taxation), then you are accomplice to that force, and you give consent to otherwise questionable authority over yourself AND your neighbor.
    And I just peeked in here to see how Dawndra's goat hacking went. Sheesh. I can't do anything without a sermon popping up somewhere.

Swampdweller

15. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Gotta love ya Swampdweller... you're one of a kind... and a sermon never hurt anyone!

The hacking went fine... Megan wanted to watch.. she did but James didn't warn her when he was going to shoot Bill (the pygmy) and heis eyes popped out & he started flopping... she turned white & went to the house.... Molly on the other hand... gave Daddy an anotomy lesson when he was gutting them...

16. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

A warning would be good !!! I had my boys watch as the steer we had done was killed, it was uneventful.

I wondered about not eatting the liver of animals you raised? I do prefer to not eat "store bought" organs, but what would "home raised" meat get into them that would hurt us?

17. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Liver is very high in Colestoral,but high in Iron to.The last time I ate Liver it put me in the Hospital,shut my Pancreas Down.

I try not to add any fat to my meat.Just got to watch things.

big rockpile

18. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Thumper, she's doing fine with it now... we have had a roast, steaks & burgers from them. she eats it fine & has no problem. She just has "issues" with loud noises.. pistols being one of them.. if she could have covered her ears, she would have been fine... she's a little sensitive..

We did a cow last year at home... I gave the girls an anatomy lesson... we donned rubber gloves & looked at a human anatomy book for referances & had class! They learned about the heart, lungs, liver, intestines & brain. We homeschool & took that opportunity to really talk about our bodies... they really learned lots from it.

I guess I just hijacked my own thread... is that allowed?

19. AstralBear

AstralBear Active Member

I read that it was a pygmy goat you slaughtered . Pygmies have a thick amount of fat on them .
    I been slaughtering and eating goat for about 20 years . I like the leaner meat of the Alpine breed . I cross pygmy fainting goats to the alpine because the fainting goats have a larger and meatier hind leg . The hind leg is the best part of the goat in my opinion .

Pygmies have such a thick layer of fat , that when my milk breeds are huddled together on single digit temperture nights in their housing , the pygmies are sleeping outside spread apart from each other .

smwon likes this.
  20. AstralBear

AstralBear Active Member

I also have an issue with the loud noise of fire arms and never shoot my goats. I use a razor sharp machete across the neck and find it is quick and easy . Within a minute the goat losses consciousness .

I use all the organ meats including the testicles . I salt dry the hides and need to learn to tan them .