Just bought a Husky 55 Rancher

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We've been a Sthil farm for decades but just bought our first Husky, a 55 Rancher. Came well recomended and it was on sale so here's hoping it'll pull it's weight. Any predictions?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The devil you know may not be as bad as the devil you do not know! Just joking but I would have remained faithful to the Stihl. Good Luck with you new purchase.

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

I'm betting that it'll be the best saw you ever owned...within a week.

I have at least three of the beasts and they're all old saws.

I believe that I bought one of the first Husky's that came into the States in about 1978. One of our neighbors' dad was an importer and gave them the opportunity to try out a Huskvarna saw, and they passed the opportunity around to the neighbors. I paid 100.00 for mine, used it for many years and loved it. Later I started getting into USFS thinning contracts and the Rancher was a perfect size for what we needed. Over the years, I probably paid for 50-60 Rancher saws for various employees. You almost needed two or more saws for constant use, no matter the type.

Nearly every Husky that I've ever owned would still run if I drained the fuel tank, put in a new plug and pulled the starter. Darn dependable saws, the the Rancher is the perfect size for nearly anything you'll want to do with it.

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've got an older Husky 61 that is an incredible saw. I've got a newer Husky(can't remember the number) that's so-so. I've got a friend that bought a new Husky and I believe he threw it in the trash and went and bought a Stihl. I'm going Stihl all the way now with everything from saws to weedeaters.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Beeman, I had nearly the same experience as you described above. Only Stihl products for me from now to when they cheapen their tools. My last near top of the line Husky, purchased new, seized on me when asked to perform. I assure you that the gas/oil mixture was proper. I replaced the saw with a pawnshop Stihl!

6. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

I would take it back and get the stihl, sorry to be so blunt but I have used both in my company and stihl kicks but.

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Ever since Husky went with the discount superstores and screwed over their stocking/servicing dealers the problems started.

8. Ross

Well our 039 Stihl has proven less reliable than all our other previous Stihls so that opened the door to new makes. I bought a cheapo Poulan last fall and its still going strong, and the 039 will be tuned up for use as a second to the Husky. Guess we'll see, so far I like it a bit better but it is a smaller saw, and so it should feel a bit more comfortable to use.

9. bare

bare Head Muderator

It is a small saw, but they run like a raped ape. Don't know how tall you are, but if like me, you do a lot of work close to the ground, try a 24" bar and chain on it and you'll do a lot less stooping.

I've got one that rattles around in the back of the van because we live in the woods and occasionally need one to clear the road. I haven't even looked at it in a year, but bet if I need it tomorrow, I'll just have to turn it on and pull the cord a couple times to hear that familiar quiet roar, even without having to put fresh gas in it.

I have to admit, that mine are all older than 10 years old, so haven't tried any new ones, although, they still look the same.

10. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

We have 2 55's, the only problems we ever have are that the rubber mounts for the handle (can't remember the real name,they look like rubber thimbles that fit between the handle and the rest of the saw to cushion it) wear out fairly quickly but they're about $2 each and easy to change.

11. Ross

How tall am I? With a good Celtic name like Ross you can assume picking potatoes is a darn sight easier that bananas.

12. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

My dealer quit carrying Husky.

He told me that he quit because Husky came out with a new line of "consumer" saws that were just cheapos. They look like Huskys and they sell the Husky name but they are just a cheap saw at cheap prices made to sell at Lowes, Home Depot, nickle and dime stuff.

My own is several years old, a Rancher and a good saw. If I want a cheap saw I will get a Poulan. I am told that Husky bought Poulan and incorporated some Husky features in that line. I do not know if that is correct, but I do see that the new Poulans have some improved engineering. I have used Poulans for years for "trash cutting" where a saw is abused. I buy them at pawn shops, chew them up and buy another. I get good service out of them for my money cutting off stumps at ground level, cutting brush and dirty logs, fencewire in trees, etc.
    Ox

13. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

I recently bought a new Husky 359 to replace my age old Stihl 039. I am extremely pleased. It has plenty of power and starts well. I've cut 13 cords of firwood so far without a hitch. The decision to go with Husqvarna was based on the fact that the local saw shop I do business with sells Husky, not Stihl. His service seemed worth the chance. So far I've not been dissapointed, but we'll see after the years go by.

It took me years to figure that out. I used to change between an 18" bar and a 24" bar until I realized the stoop factor.

14. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

FreeinAlaska, that has always been my recommendation. Choose the saw brand of your closest dealer: Stihl, Husky or Jonserud. I've always had Jonserud, the Swedes make a terriffic saw.

15. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Within the family, we have 5 Husky's and have owned them for years (with good results), but the recommendation to buy what you can have serviced is right on...unless you can do your own repairs. Hope you have good luck with your new saw.

16. Ross

Husky Stihl Jonesred Poulan Echo and probably as many as you can name are well supported here. So far I gotta say i luv that saw, and it's got more power to weight than those heavy old Stihls we keep.