Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a homestead in Duvall, WA (literally just in time to get out of Bellevue where the majority of Washington Covid-19 cases are).

We're on a 14 acre lot (10 of which is forested / Native Growth Retention Area). We're just getting our garden setup for a variety of crops (tomatoes, lettuce, kale, mustard, peas, broccoli, carrots, and radishes, beans, cucumbers, bok choy, chard).

We'll be getting some laying and chicken chickens soon.

I'm thinking about getting a several (3-10) pigs. A few ideas are having them (along with a couple goats) clear out the invasive black berries we have in the forested area using multiple paddocks, creating a terraced landscape on our sloped front/side yard to prepare a larger area for gardens with more level beds, and having the chickens come in behind them to spread the manure.

Any tips are appreciated if you know much about the Pacific Northwest area.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Goats might eventually clear out blackberries but they'll do so by slowly starving them -eating the leaves. All the brush we have is still there but no leaves up to basically about the height a goat can stretch on its hind legs. If it's dense you might be far ahead by getting or renting a weed trimmer with a metal blade and cutting some paths for them. It's healthier for them to browse the elevated stuff (cuts down on worms) but if you want some place cleared I'd just hire someone with some equipment to do it for you and leave what you want for browse. I'd probably dump some gravel where you feed and water them to assist in keeping their hooves scraped down. Given your area a dry location for them to bed down and hoof maintenance will be important. I live in a pretty humid and wet area too and that isn't a huge deal as long as you check them every once in a while. Whether you want goats I guess depends entirely on your fencing situation or the disposition of your neighbors towards them ;)

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
Welcome! You'll probably get more answers to your questions in the Homesteading and livestock forums....

Reactions: DrSammyD

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a several (3-10) pigs. A few ideas are having them (along with a couple goats) clear out the invasive black berries we have in the forested area using multiple paddocks, creating a terraced landscape on our sloped front/side yard to prepare a larger area for gardens with more level beds, and having the chickens come in behind them to spread the manure.

Any tips are appreciated if you know much about the Pacific Northwest area.
Goats will handle the head high stuff and pigs will clean up the ground. I have seen several folks use premiere electric fencing for portable pasture and timber paddocks with good results. They set them up for a week or so and then move to another area.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Congrats on the homestead. I’m in Kitsap County just east of you. Things I wish I’d done differently and my tips:
1. Don’t put up permanent structures until you’ve had your land during the rainy season. My poor chickens had to be relocated as their area turned into a lake. Same with the goat pen.
2. We loved having Khaki Campbell ducks. They adore water, are more hearty than chickens, don’t get bumble foot in soggy weather. And they lay about 300 eggs per year!
3. Your woods may have an abundance of delicious mushrooms during proper seasons. Join the local group and learn what’s good...and safe.
4. I agree with above poster. Goats like the blackberry leaves and the branches stay.
5. Our area is abundant with native foods, get to know them.
6. Please, please use rotating paddocks for your animals. Your land and your animals will be happier.
7. Learn about hugulkultur and make your downed trees work for you.
8. Learn about forest gardening.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Congrats! I'm moving out to my own little patch of heaven this month and have a pretty similar plan!

Seems everyone's got chicks going right now so getting your chickens started right away should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
welcome! and maybe consider keeping some of those wild blackberries. If they are like the ones we have here, they are delicious and freeze up real easy for keeping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts